Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
31,250 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Years ago I bought plans for a Gilliom band saw. I never got around to building one until a few years back.

I found the design while clean looking had a good deal of flex and needed additional support. My saw is a the 12 inch model and I built it for metal cutting. I use it all of the time. Since I do some machining I made all of my own bearing and blade supports. I bought my tires from Carter. I think the use of inner tubes has merit.

I did make a number of changes to the original design. I enjoyed building the project. I may have already posted these pictures, if so sorry, if not enjoy.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
31,250 Posts
very cool!

If anyone else has built one post it up! :yes:

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
50+ years ago, my dad, had his Dad's shopmade band saw. The wheels official Soap Box Derby wheels. They had solid rubber tires about 1" thick, and tapered from about 1" wide at the rim, to about 1/2" at the edge. He somehow trimmed the tires down, untill the width was about 3/4" for the blade to ride on.
That's about all I remember about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.