Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Give me some more wood
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long time since I been on here, bought a piece of black and white ebony on ebay for 60 dollars which was 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 x 18 3/4 a week ago and I made a home made violin neck from it to attach to the pine body of the violin. It looks awesome! used guitar tuners instead of traditional pegs, I just hollowed out the two pine boards using a 1 1/4 drill bit and cut them to shape and screwed the back piece onto the top! pretty simple. and it does make a sound.

THE BLANK

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
I don't know squat about a violin, much less music in general, but that is one sweet looking violin. Great job.

Mark

·
Give me some more wood
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, though its not a solid body violin, I have hollowed it out and screwed the two pine pieces together, It doesn't have the sound of a traditional violin but it works for me! I could hollow it out more to make a better sound though.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Hey, Dreamwake, the violin looks really cool. :thumbsup: I, too, was going to comment about it being solid. But you already addressed that question.
The shape is cool too. I like seeing instruments that are shaped differently than the same 'ole same 'ole. Perhaps the only thing I'd change would be to add sound holes,
they could be round or any other shape. They wouldn't have to be the traditional "F holes". That would help with the instrument's tone quality and volume. Or you could - if
volume and tones are an issue (I'm only assuming that they might be) - you could mount a piezoelectric transducer to it and plug the violin into an amplifier. Electric violins
have the luxury of being compatible to the world of electronic effects and tone and volume controls.

All that said, it does look really cool. The black and white ebony really gives it great character. And the guitar machine tuners are, well, just a good idea. The traditional
tapered, friction fit tuning pegs used on most violins, cellos, bowed basses and so on don't tune nearly as easily or smoothly and machined tuners do. They end to
jump as you're trying to fine tune string tension. The guitar tuners you used provide a smoother, more gradual way of tuning.

On a side note, your username and avatar bring me back to when I was active at lucid dreaming forums (Dreamviews, then Mortal Mist). Good times. You wouldn't
happen to be an LD'er, would you?

·
Give me some more wood
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the interest!, I started making electric violins then I had an idea to make my own acoustic violin, so I came up with this shape. I'am experimenting with a sound hole with a different body, and I made the body a little bit thicker so I have a deeper chamber for sound, It might give a larger sound than the one pictured. lol, I also make different shaped guitars, some more traditional in style and some way out there ha, and my username was for a symphonic metal band I wanted to start. not really sure what lucid dreaming is but I have heard of it before. I did buy a cheap transducer but I think I'm gonna get a better one some time. I really like the black and white ebony, I did make a chin rest out of the wood from the scrape I had left over from the blank, it is small but it will work! I got plenty of wood to experiment with as I can get scrapes from a pipe organ factory where I clean up the place. I thought about using mandolin tuners but since I had guitar tuners laying around (cheap chinese ones) I used them instead. They really do a good job staying in tune!

·
Give me some more wood
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool Travico, there fun to build! I got my parts on ebay, the guitar tuners, the bridge and tailpiece which I cut in half and some cheap strings for like 3.00 dollars no need to spend the crazy money on professional strings if you are constantly taking them off to modify like I did. Also I got a violin fretboard just so I could see how long and wide the thing is for the dimensions.

UPDATE
I made a sound hole I think it sounds much more like a violin and I did make a new body that is a little bigger too. well I wanted to make the neck look more ornate and the bridge kept popping off so what I did was I angled the neck down by cutting out the top piece of pine for a neck pocket and set it on top of the bottom piece of pine! This puts downward pressure on the bridge holding it in place. WORKS! and I made a new chin rest out of douglas fir. still got some sanding and finishing to do on the neck. If I build another body, I'm going to glue the thing up so it looks more attractive haha!

Neck angled down

Since I made the headstock flat and had no wood glue I screwed two pieces onto the top and back of the headstock

Chin Rest

THE BACK!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.