Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just lookin' at some pictures and I came across a couple that Daren snuck in there of a guitar top he's makin'.

All I can say is......

Nice ! ! ! ! !

If I could figger it out I would have posted the pics...but I'm a computer dummby....I couldn't get them to post from the gallery..:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Ya'll need to look at his gallery...The man's got great wood....:yes: :yes:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I don't know how to put the picture here either, just a link
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=165&limit=recent
I started that several months ago, then set it aside...I found out guitar making is an art form as much as a craft. I have steam bent the sides and built the finger board with curly walnut. As pretty as it is going to be, I have been told (and have no reason to doubt them) by experts it will sound like crap. Oh well, I am going to finish it some day and have it as decoration. I don't play guitar I just think they are pretty (made from cool wood), so I am not qualified to make a proper instrument. It's not like making a chair...I can set in it and see if it is going to work.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Like this?

If you want to do the same thing right click a picture and select "Properties". This will give you some info about the picture as well as a link to it. Copy the link by highlighting it and pressing CTRL-C.

Then press the
button above the post box and paste the link into the feild that is given.

Does that make ANY sense at all? Sorry for the confusion. I'll see if there is an easier way for me to set this up.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's It....:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Man...isn't that wood just sick????:cool2: :tongue_smilie: :icon_cool: :brows: :detective: :thumbup1:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts

Nathan, made perfect sense to me. Steve, it's some curly red maple that had started to spalt. I was playing around to see if I got Nathans instructions right. This is the back... a picture with my camera phone (horrible quality, but the wife is outta town on business with the only digital camera in the house I can hook up to this computer, the rest hook up to her laptap..which of course she has too) I will put a better picture of the back some day, it's prettier than the front.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's pretty cool..:icon_cool:..I've always wanted to build a guitar. I've encased a lot of them in slabs and epoxy, but never built one. Even if that one don't sound too good...it's sure gonna be pretty :thumbsup: ....I'll have to see if I can find some guitar pics....:yes:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts

The guitar is just a sparetime project for my own decoration. The neck is figured maple like the top and back, the sides and fret are figured walnut. The string tuner knobs are going to be figured maple too. I don't even play (I wish I knew how, I love guitar, just never took the time to learn)

Above is another picture of something I custom made for a guy. He was modifying his Fender Telecaster with different pick ups. It was a beautiful electric guitar... birdseye maple neck, black body and a cheap plastic pickguard. He mailed me the plastic one with marks on it how he need it changed and I made this one from some figured, spalted maple crotch and mailed the wooden one back. It looks awesome installed, totally changed the guitar for the better, but I can't find the pictures he sent me right now.

TexasTimbers here is link you may enjoy http://www.hedgeapple.com/index.shtml . Check out the hedgeapple chunkin contest http://www.hedgeballchuckin.com/ . They have air cannons, Trebuchet & Catapults... pretty funny stuff. It's not too far from the West side of Northern Central East Texas, there is still time to enter for next year.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Daren I thought I had seen all the Osage related sites but the first one you posted was new to me. Thanks.
You ought to hear about some of the stuff that goes on during the Bois D' Arc Festival every year in Commerce, Texas. Commerce is recognized as the Bois D' Arc capital of Texas, and so pretty much of the world in that case since the tree is prolific down here.
It's a big college town and this is always just another reason for them to party hardy of course. It gets crazy. :cowboy:

·
Registered
286 Posts

The guitar is just a sparetime project for my own decoration. The neck is figured maple like the top and back, the sides and fret are figured walnut. The string tuner knobs are going to be figured maple too. I don't even play (I wish I knew how, I love guitar, just never took the time to learn)

Above is another picture of something I custom made for a guy. He was modifying his Fender Telecaster with different pick ups. It was a beautiful electric guitar... birdseye maple neck, black body and a cheap plastic pickguard. He mailed me the plastic one with marks on it how he need it changed and I made this one from some figured, spalted maple crotch and mailed the wooden one back. It looks awesome installed, totally changed the guitar for the better, but I can't find the pictures he sent me right now.

TexasTimbers here is link you may enjoy http://www.hedgeapple.com/index.shtml . Check out the hedgeapple chunkin contest http://www.hedgeballchuckin.com/ . They have air cannons, Trebuchet & Catapults... pretty funny stuff. It's not too far from the West side of Northern Central East Texas, there is still time to enter for next year.
I know a lot of guitar players that would kill for a custom pickguard like that.....you could make some pretty good money there. As far as the guitar you are building....go to http://stewmac.com for info and materials on scale length, fret scales and the like.....looks like a fine piece of wood!

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I know a lot of guitar players that would kill for a custom pickguard like that.....you could make some pretty good money there.
My old computer crashed that had the picture of it installed he e-mailed me, it was killer though. Send them this link http://nelsonwoodworks.biz/pb/wp_604b2254/wp_604b2254.html?0.7706492817244975
I have made a couple more since then, I just don't put duplicate projects on my website. Tell them to give me a holler, this is not just a hobby for me , I'm trying to make a buck or two when I can.:laughing:

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Plowboy, your buddy Rick from Illinois gave me a holler. I think I am letting him rip me off for a truckload of pecan/cherry/mulberry bbq wood. I told him $75 for all we could jam in the back of his blazer :laughing:. I don't know how that works $ wise in the BBQ world, but it ain't too much more than a guy gets for mixed hardwood firewood. And this is all sorted just what he wants, he better have a couple bottles of sauce/rub in hand. That oughta keep him in wood for a couple weeks, it'll put a pretty good dent in my stash though :huh:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Plowboy, your buddy Rick from Illinois gave me a holler. I think I am letting him rip me off for a truckload of pecan/cherry/mulberry bbq wood. I told him $75 for all we could jam in the back of his blazer :laughing:. I don't know how that works $ wise in the BBQ world, but it ain't too much more than a guy gets for mixed hardwood firewood. And this is all sorted just what he wants, he better have a couple bottles of sauce/rub in hand. That oughta keep him in wood for a couple weeks, it'll put a pretty good dent in my stash though :huh:
If its about the same as hardwood firewood, then its probably fine on his end. If he doesn't come with something in hand, I certainly will. :thumbsup:

Thought I'd get the two of you together for mutual benefit. Hope it was.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Daren, I assume you are giving him just scraps and wood you'd burn yourself. Don't give him anything you'd use for projects. I sure wouldn't. My burning wood is truly scrap wood. Anthing I could use for scroll work, I hold on to.

I'm not sure from your post if you are comfortable with this or not. Hope you aren't doing something you regret. That would make me feel terrible. Again, just wanted to see if two guys could find some mutual benefit in being connected with each other.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My old computer crashed that had the picture of it installed he e-mailed me, it was killer though. Send them this link http://nelsonwoodworks.biz/pb/wp_604b2254/wp_604b2254.html?0.7706492817244975
I have made a couple more since then, I just don't put duplicate projects on my website. Tell them to give me a holler, this is not just a hobby for me , I'm trying to make a buck or two when I can.:laughing:
Go to http://homerecording.com/bbs
Post a pick of your pickguards in the sales forum there....you do have to register first....tell em I sent you:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Daren, I assume you are giving him just scraps and wood you'd burn yourself. Don't give him anything you'd use for projects. .
Yea, that is the deal. Just mill scraps and stuff I have bucked off the end of a sawlog (the last few inches when they lay and dry out and crack). I save wood like cherry and the other stuff I mentioned to use to heat the shop/BBQ myself...I would much rather it go to a guy who can use it for cooking than someone who is just going to use it for firewood. $ is not the object one way or the other, but why let it go up the chimney if a guy can use it for wood cooking. I am a cooker/ eater myself (just look at my profile picture, that is 6" 3" 210 lbs of carnivor right there brother :laughing:)

I was just being silly when I was acting like he was ripping me off on the deal. I will be glad to meet him, hope he gets good use out of the wood. I have sold wood to people and 3 years later, there it lays rotting in a pile. Whatever, it was their wood once they hauled it off. I don't figure this guy will let it go to waste.

jpw23, I will check that link out here in abit, thanks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Go to http://homerecording.com/bbs
Post a pick of your pickguards in the sales forum there....you do have to register first....tell em I sent you:thumbsup:
I registered, just waiting for my e-mail to "join the club", great link (TONS of potential customers/buddies alot of discussion about my type of music, I tried 10 different user names from RUSH songs...all taken) . That is why this forum is growing on me, not 3000 like minded people-what fun is that. Step out of the status quo and get a spanking or worse. I am in the wood business, but have 100 different interests. In the last few days here I have met a few guys with similar passions cooking, eating, music (and not guys trying to shove country music down my throat, not that there is no merit in that genre, but jeez there is so much more out there)

The more members we get the better this is going to be for all of us. We can all have our own opinions on tools, business, techniques... assimilate them all and make your own choice on who's advice is best for you (or combination of members). That is what a "discussion" forum is all about.

OOPS, a little rant there. Sorry new members, some of the seniors know what set me off.

*I came back and edited this post, I was tired and grouchy last night. But I was just sore about one time on an other forum I expressed my opinions about music and got called bad names. I shouldn't have brought it up here, but no taking it back now

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yea, that is the deal. Just mill scraps and stuff I have bucked off the end of a sawlog (the last few inches when they lay and dry out and crack). I save wood like cherry and the other stuff I mentioned to use to heat the shop/BBQ myself...I would much rather it go to a guy who can use it for cooking than someone who is just going to use it for firewood. $ is not the object one way or the other, but why let it go up the chimney if a guy can use it for wood cooking. I am a cooker/ eater myself (just look at my profile picture, that is 6" 3" 210 lbs of carnivor right there brother :laughing:)

I was just being silly when I was acting like he was ripping me off on the deal. I will be glad to meet him, hope he gets good use out of the wood. I have sold wood to people and 3 years later, there it lays rotting in a pile. Whatever, it was their wood once they hauled it off. I don't figure this guy will let it go to waste.

jpw23, I will check that link out here in abit, thanks.:thumbsup:
Good. That's kinda what I thought, but don't know all the personalities here yet.

Jay sells sauce like me. Except he makes his own sauce. I'm a reseller. Check out his site, too. Some off the beaten path flavors.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts