Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see from the picture,this wood, holly wood has a lot of milldew on it.Question is,is it worth turning,or not?I do have a large supply,as it was given to me.I have 8"x2",6"x2" and 2"x2"x12" Thanks;Mack

Attachments

·
sawdust manufacturer
581 Posts
If'n the coloration extends below the surface, you've got some awesome stuff there...:thumbsup:

Turn that sucker and show us what's underneath!:yes:

p

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
o.k here it is.I guess it is o.k.I am not in love with the grain of this wood.Also why the rought spots on just one section,on the left.Its only there?Mack

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Blue/black stain come from fungi similar to what causes spalting and definitely compromises wood properties and value. So definitely need sharp tools, dust protection while turning and sanding.

At certain times of the year (warmer months), loggers will end seal or apply fungicide to ends of logs to prevent blue-black staining within 24 hours of felling trees. Stained logs have less value, so they get them to the mill fast, or chemically treat logs.

·
sawdust manufacturer
581 Posts
Yep,
Rotten wood is harder to turn well...:yes:

Now, put some finish on it and take another pic...
I think you'll like the look!

Of course, if you're not happy with that stuff, I'll send you my shipping address, and even pay half the shipping costs!

p

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep,
Rotten wood is harder to turn well...:yes:

Now, put some finish on it and take another pic...
I think you'll like the look!

Of course, if you're not happy with that stuff, I'll send you my shipping address, and even pay half the shipping costs!

p
Be carefull now,you may get your wish.I'll finish this one and try another,then decide.Mack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts