Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to post this this even though it doesn't fit the norm for hollow forms around here. I had this piece of Big Leaf Maple for a while now wondering what to do with it ... then I spotted a flower pot and thought that was the inspiration I was looking for so I put my monster to work. I know, I could have left the foot off it, but I thought what the heck. Anyway, the blank turned out to be very punky and I had major problems with tear out, but do to my trusty 80 grit gouge, I was able to get all the tear out sanded down. The inside was even worse ... all I got from the inside was coffee ground sized bits and dust. I had thoughts of parting it off where the base and form intersect, but LOML said no, I really like it just like that. Measures 10+ tall and 6.5 wide. So here it is. Finished with Waterlox and shellac. C&C are welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Looks great how thin is it on the wall

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
because it was so punky, I decided not to go below 1/4 in, bottom is heavier.
That's good I use water base lacquer when I run into punky an it works for me

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Now that's the way to liberate the inner beauty from a chunk of wood!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Very nice, good aesthetics. I just started turning another big leaf maple bowl, LOTS of spalting (read punky), I made a mixture of 50-50 lacquer and lacquer thinner; placed it in a five gallon bucket cut a hole in the lid just big enough for the shop vac hose to fit, placed the blank inside and turned on the vac for about four minutes. So far the blank is turning pretty good. Still some tear out but I think it has made a big difference...once I get all three blanks turned I will know more. ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.