Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I'm new to woodworking. About a month and a half ago I started on my first wood working project, and I got quite ambitious with the entire thing. I've created a 6x8 game table that folds down at the edges so that each person has a place to play.

Now, here are the two questions that I have.

I want to make a place for some cup holders that I've ordered off of Amazon. I'd like to put 1 on each of the corners and 2 in the middle on each side. Unfortunately, I've already assembled the entire table, and now the places I want to put the cup holders are 4 1x6 deep.

In other words, the sections are about 3 inches deep of solid oak. I bought a holesaw attachment for my drill, but I'm worried about drilling through the entire three inches. Will drilling through the whole table on the sides like that hurt the stability of the wood? Is it even going to be possible to drill through the three inches, I don't think the holesaw would even allow that depth, it'd hit the top of the attachment before it could get through. Would you all have any advice on how I could do this? I'm incredibly new to woodworking, and I've already sunk so much money into the wood and buying all of the tools, so I'd hate to screw it up at this point.

I'm attaching pictures. In the picture where the sides are folded out, you can get a good look at the places I want to put cupholders. Basically, 1 in each corner, and 2 in that center piece on the side. I wish I had a good picture of the depth of the side, but know that it's 3 inches.

My other question has to do with the legs.

How the heck should I attach them? I uploaded two pictures of the bottom. One is a close up of the corner of the apron. Should I just put four very large legs at every corner? As you can imagine, it's quite a hefty table, and I'd like to put it in my basement, so ideally, I'd like for the legs to be removable. How exactly do you go about doing something like that? Would any of you know of a helpful guide that outlines this? If so, I'd really appreciate the link or some advice!

Thanks in advance for your help. I really can't wait to get this thing totally finished. I'm going to do some finishing sanding and hopefully get it stained this weekend (if I finish the cup holders). Thanks!

*Edit* The first two pictures are of the bottom. The last picture is of the top and has a clear angle on where I want to put the cup holders.

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
With the hole saw, you can drill down far enough so that your center bit comes through, then drill from the other side to finish the hole....assuming you can get atleast 1 1/2" depth on your hole saw. This gives you a clean cut on both sides.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the hole saw, you can drill down far enough so that your center bit comes through, then drill from the other side to finish the hole....assuming you can get atleast 1 1/2" depth on your hole saw. This gives you a clean cut on both sides.

Ahhh ha. I'll definitely have to check the depth on the bit, but that's a really good idea. So you don't think drilling 3 5/8" diameter holes in the 1x6 would ruin the integrity of the wood?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have a recommendation on what to do with the legs? It seems most people actually attach them ONTO the apron and basically make them the corner. Unfortunately, it seems that it would basically be impossible to do that at this point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts