Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm making some bird houses for friends and family to hang this spring. I really like making them but I do wish I had a second pair of hands.

Is there a simple jig or trick for holding the walls in place while I fasten them together. I'm not doing anything fancy, just making a box with a roof and a floor. I don't have a nailer so everything is done the old fashioned way (for now).

I hope this all makes sense, and I'd be willing to bet a dollar to a donut that the answer is so simple I'm going to feel silly.

As usual, Thanks!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Make yourself some "carpenter square" type blocks out of probably 3/4" wood and then use clamps to fasten one wall to one leg and another wall to the other leg.

Remember you from a band saw problem post but never saw your feedback on resolution. What did you do to solve it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
How about "medium width" masking tape? Just tape the sides together into the box form and you're done. I assume that you are using simple butt joints and not miters, so that should work. Experiment with the roof and bottom, but once the four "sides"are together, should be a snap. Good project too, birds are great builders as well! Chief

·
Registered
353 Posts
What kind of joint? Simple Butt Joint? Rabbet?? A Platform made from 2x material with Dado's cut at the appropriate dimensions would allow you to insert the walls for nailing and removal.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I made a jig. Nothing more than 2 pieces of 1x6, about 8" long. Diagonal brace on the inside and built very carefully to get the two sides perpendicular/90 degrees. The work to be joined gets clamped to the outside. Put sides A & B together first. Then sides C & D. Joining them and the whole thing is square.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts