Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can find a 1" diameter hold down for a bench? The old fashioned kind you just tap down.

·
I run with chisels.
913 Posts
I have a pair from Grammercy but they are just under 3/4 and fit in a 3/4" hole. If you've already drlled the 1" holes, you might look at the large ones that Woodworker's Supply (woodworker.com) They are 7/8", don't know what size hole is best for them but probably just a shade under 1".

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
firemedic said:
Hmmm... Biggest I've seen commercially is 3/4".

Know any smiths?
That's what I'm probably going to have to do. Everything is made for 3/4 or 7/8 inch holes. My bench has 1" holes.

·
I run with chisels.
913 Posts
If you're going custom then there is, or was, a guy up in Alaska - Phil Koontz. He was on old-tools list (might still be) and his holdfasts were featured in a few magazines. I'm sure googling his name and Alaska will get you close enough to get an email address or a website.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info on Phil. Contacted him and he was kind enough to give me two other leads. Now I just have to decide how bad I want these as they're not gonna be cheap.

·
I run with chisels.
913 Posts
If money is an issue - as it often is for me - you might consider filling in your holes with 1" wooden dowels, and when the glue dries you can drill new smaller holes to fit a thinner hold-down of your choosing.

·
Registered
825 Posts
My hold fasts are 11/16" and work perfectly well in a 3/4 hole. They cant a bit which causes them to bind and lock. I should think that a hold fast of 3/4 or 7/8 would do the same in a 1 inch hole.

·
Registered
825 Posts
cabinetman said:
You could just insert metal sleeves in the holes with a wall thickness to match a 3/4" hold down. Just thinkin' out loud (so to speak), but the metal sleeve will last longer than a wood hole.

C-man,

I don't think that would work. Hold fasts lock because of friction. The forged hold fasts that I use have a rough surface to "grab" the side of the hole.

·
Registered
825 Posts
cabinetman said:
Mine work because of the angle created as they get inserted.

Exactly; but are you using metal to metal? I think that 3/4 hold fasts in a 1" hole allows more cant than a 3/4 hold fast in a 3/4 hole; therefore would work better.

Because my bench is thick, I had to ream the dog holes slightly to allow more tilt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts