Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lector
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a tutorial for putting in Hinges? For some reason I truly suck at it. :yes:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hinges are my worst enemy.:furious::furious::furious:

I always seem to struggle with them.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
You don't say what kind of hinges.

If you are talking the Euro or 35mm style, buy the boring jig from Sommerfelds, about $250. (Best tool that I've ever bought.)

Otherwise use the type designed to not require a mortise. Predrill the screw holes and use steel screws to cut threads in the hole.

Plan for about 1/16" clearance all around. (Double the hinge thickness)

Install the hinges on the door first. Clamp a support piece on the piece to keep the bottom of the door in place and at the appropriate height. Mark and drill the holes for the top hinge. (I have seen this process done with the piece laying on its side and the door supported in a horizontal position.) A Vix Bit is invaluable for drilling the hinge pilot holes.

It seems that installing the top hinge makes everything go better.

By installing the hinges on the door first, it is easy to get the most aesthetically pleasing positions.

·
Lector
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't say what kind of hinges.

If you are talking the Euro or 35mm style, buy the boring jig from Sommerfelds, about $250. (Best tool that I've ever bought.)

Otherwise use the type designed to not require a mortise. Predrill the screw holes and use steel screws to cut threads in the hole.

Plan for about 1/16" clearance all around. (Double the hinge thickness)

Install the hinges on the door first. Clamp a support piece on the piece to keep the bottom of the door in place and at the appropriate height. Mark and drill the holes for the top hinge. (I have seen this process done with the piece laying on its side and the door supported in a horizontal position.) A Vix Bit is invaluable for drilling the hinge pilot holes.

It seems that installing the top hinge makes everything go better.

By installing the hinges on the door first, it is easy to get the most aesthetically pleasing positions.
Thank you. I wasn't even close lol. I am learning to learn from the mistakes of others
What a concept.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts