Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Ive just started wood working and have nearly finished my first project, but im stuck! I really want to use concealed hinges but I also want to use a "push to open" magnetic latch so I can eliminate knobs and handles. I want a really sleek modern look, but am so confused with all the hinges and gadgets out there. can anyone help? any advice would be great :smile: oh yes nearly forgot! the doors are 30o by 470

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Hi

Ive just started wood working and have nearly finished my first project, but im stuck! I really want to use concealed hinges but I also want to use a "push to open" magnetic latch so I can eliminate knobs and handles. I want a really sleek modern look, but am so confused with all the hinges and gadgets out there. can anyone help? any advice would be great :smile: oh yes nearly forgot! the doors are 30o by 470

When you figure out which hinge/plate will work for the type of application, you can look for hinges that are "free swinging", instead of "self closing". They can be listed with either option. Many of the hinges that are "self closing" can be converted by removing a small spacer in the arm mechanism.

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you're looking for hinges for flush doors, Google Image "concealed hinge for flush door". You'll see a number of examples of the types of hinges for that application.

If your doors are the overlay type (like you see in most kitchens) most of the European style hinges will work.

In either case, the weight and size of the door will be a factor in what hinges can be used and how many will be needed. Installing a magnetic-type, push-to-open feature, can be done with either.

Blum makes a compact soft-close hinge for overlay doors. I installed them in my kitchen and really like them.

Rockler sells a magnetic touch latch but this wouldn't be a good choice with the soft-close hinge. With these types of latches, you need to manually push it closed to get the door to close completely.

If you can post pictures, maybe we can help you better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha. yes I did. only to then have the problem of the unit "racking"? I think that's what its called. I have had a tinker with it today and added some more supports to it and managed to get one lot of doors on. progress! :) its very satisfying when it is going well. I am a bit of a perfectionist which I think is in some ways, a slight negative when starting out. I need to realise that its my first project and to not expect miracles. im sure this is going to be the first project of many! thank you VERY much for the info and help. its greatly appreciated :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts