Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a small keepsake box with a tray inside. I'm wanting the tray to lift up when you open the lid, what type of hinges should I use?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Kazooman, in ToolAgniostic's link, has the right idea. There is no one hinge for each side of your lid. You will need two hinges, either bought or custom made, for each side. Kazooman describes his custom made brass hinge technique using simple plates or strips.

Similarly as in this cedar chest thread, where Lamar wants a tray/drawer to lift when the lid is lifted. Scroll down the thread where you see 2 types of elbow hinges are used on each side, one for the lid and one for the lifted tray/drawer.

You might build a mock box with custom hinges to figure out what exact dimensions, et al., you will need for your size finished box.... or maybe for more boxes, later. As to your mock box makeup, don't install a bottom to the M. box. Leave the bottom open so you can see the insides... see how the hinge installation operates as you lift/close the lid, and tweak any misalignments, or whatever, for correct function, if need be. Make corrections on the mock box, not on/with your keepsake box.

Sonny

·
Registered
440 Posts
Barrel hinges should work

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kazooman, in ToolAgniostic's link, has the right idea. There is no one hinge for each side of your lid. You will need two hinges, either bought or custom made, for each side. Kazooman describes his custom made brass hinge technique using simple plates or strips.

Similarly as in this cedar chest thread, where Lamar wants a tray/drawer to lift when the lid is lifted. Scroll down the thread where you see 2 types of elbow hinges are used on each side, one for the lid and one for the lifted tray/drawer.

You might build a mock box with custom hinges to figure out what exact dimensions, et al., you will need for your size finished box.... or maybe for more boxes, later. As to your mock box makeup, don't install a bottom to the M. box. Leave the bottom open so you can see the insides... see how the hinge installation operates as you lift/close the lid, and tweak any misalignments, or whatever, for correct function, if need be. Make corrections on the mock box, not on/with your keepsake box.

Sonny
Hello. I just wanted to thank you for this good tip. I'm adding this to my favorites. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts