Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I make tealight and votive candle holder that I sell. I use a 1-9/16 bit because the hole has to be just bigger than 1-1/2 because of the little plastic cups that the candles come in and 1-5/8 is just too large and allows too much wiggle with the candles. I've been using a wood river bit but I burned it just a tad when I first started using it but after that I learned to go slow and back out 3-4 times while drilling the 3/4 deep hole. I have only drilled red oak with it so far and plan to start making mahogony and cherry holders. So far the woodriver bit has done the job and hasn't burned the wood or splintered anything but the hole is a little rough and the bottom is rough, and I worry about how long this bit will last. I want to start building a forstner bit set and so far have bought 4 woodriver bits but am thinking about trying to find a higher quality bit that will last longer but don't want to drop 40-70 bucks per bit. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good brand to go with? Also like I said it must have bits in 16th increments. The woodriver bit I have was about 13 bucks and it would be great to find something better around that price but am willing to pay a little more

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
If you have a 4 jaw, you could just replace the chuck with a 3 jaw.
My set is Porter Cable and they are good bits. But, no 1/6th increments. Wouldn't it be easier to just buy a couple really good ones of the correct size?

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Colt Maxi Cuts are said to be the best forstners made. I dunno if they make the size your looking for or not. Ive been meaning to buy the ones I use for boring peppermills. I have a set of porter cables that Im using now. Thier junk. The wood river bits you have are probably much better. Oh and mine are hex shank and I use them in my press all the time.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
268 Posts
A 1 9/16" bit could be hard to find. How about a 40mm? It's a little over 1 9/16" at 1.574803". Wave Cutter bits by Fisch are also pretty good.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wanted freud originally but I couldn't see anything in 1/16th sizes, so far what I've found by googling the size and bit is roman carbide from grizzly, also found some on mlcs website and the woodriver bits. So far the woodriver has worked well but just kind of looking to see if I can find one that makes a smoother hole. It's a pain trying to sand inside the holes lol. I may charge an extra buck per holder for bit replacement expenses.

Just checked my drill press and it does have 3 prongs. So I guess the hex shanks would work fine then

1 - 11 of 11 Posts