1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
image-1305734966.jpg

image-550010010.jpg

image-390758159.jpg

Made to cover a behemoth old steam radiator in a Victorian home that was getting new flooring. Stain is a custom blend of about 4 colors to match the flooring. Finish is gloss spar varnish. Sorry for the crappy pics guys

Had to do some very delicate scribing to make this unit fit tight against the funhouse-quality bagged out plaster walls. They were so bad I actually made & scribed in a plywood mock-up, then disassembled it & used it for patterns.

image-3662760444.jpg

That's the leg

image-580737512.jpg

And that's the top.

I cut within 1/4" of the line with a jigsaw, then clamped the pattern on & routed. Had to run the router backwards to keep the hickory from tearing apart & splitting on the grain.

My phone was dead when I installed it, but I'm glad to say that in the end, it fit like it grew there ;-) I have to go back to make a template for some old crown molding the homeowner wants reproduced, so when I do I'll get an installed pic.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Looks very nice.

One question. Would you not want the top of a radiator cover to be open just like the front? Since heat rises I would think a solid top would limit the efficiency of the cover.

George

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Nice job with the cover you did a great job. I made several of those when I lived in Honesdale, PA. back in the mid seventies. When I made the vanity in my bathroom I had no choice but to build it into the vanity. Sure is better than looking at those old radiators.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GeorgeC said:
Looks very nice.

One question. Would you not want the top of a radiator cover to be open just like the front? Since heat rises I would think a solid top would limit the efficiency of the cover.

George
It's only 30" wide. The left side is completely open as well. I've never seen a wood cover of this size & style with a vent in the top. If it were 48" or wider I'd have probably put a grill in the top.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sanchez said:
Looks good, that's a lot of scribing!

Nice shop you have there!
Thanks Sanchez. Keeping the front of the case plumb & the top level while not blowing the valve cutout was tricky.

I wish I could say it's my shop! It belongs to my employer, but I have free reign off work hours. It's a cool arrangement.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are the installed pics, a little late alas. Story of my life. I realize that one cannot claim to have scribed a piece to fit well and not provide the scribed-in pics. So to correct my faux pas here you go. Thanks for looking!

image-1705749253.jpg

Attachments

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
That looks really nice there! I'm sure it's indescribably more awesome than the ugly radiator it conceals. Great job, Sir! Your client must be thrilled.

·
Registered
656 Posts
That's a great solution to hide the radiator. It looks like a fine looking furniture and a great match to the floor and other stuff in the house. Great job!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts