Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Retired country boy here from Alabama. Highly inexperienced and looking to increase my knowledge . And maybe sell a piece or two to help pay for this addictive hobby I picked up awhile back.

Alan

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Welcome!
and ditto-on what you like?
You'll find answers to lots of stuff here.
Dave H

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My areas of interest vary..

I dabbled in wood working over the years, but before I retired in 2009 I had outfitted a nice shop where I used to have a garage.

I like furniture ( designed and built chest of drawers, end tables, hall tables, shop furniture, exterior furniture), boxes (made championship ring boxes a number occasions, gift boxes and a few boxes I've sold on request), bowls as gifts, ornaments, ... In last year I've gotten into a midi lathe, exploring turning, pens, bowls, ornaments, ... Also been building some turning tools,..

Looking forward to enhancing my turning experiences and knowledge. I am getting focused on building my own turning tools at the present time.

I would like to figure out how to get more wood for highly figured and natural edged bowls, rather than get the expensive burls and vanilla flavored blanks.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Wood should be easy. In urban areas find who does tree trimming/surgery, just ASK, likely you'll get more than you want (sometimes pays not to be picky). Right of ways for roads and pipelines are good areas.
I'm in rural setting so I get a lot free.
Dave H

Reactions: jharris2

·
Registered
3,339 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome from a retired Yankee - sounds like you've got experience so looking forward to hearing from you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts