Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from sheffield England.
My name is steve booton i am new to forums and this is by way of a simple hello to everyone.
I am a retired ceramics teacher and have just started making furniture although i have used wood as part of my ceramics for 27 years.I`ll try to add some of my work for you all to see
regards to all
steve

Attachments

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Pretty neat Steve, thanks for posting pictures in your intro. I am looking forward to more, metal work-clay-wood all in one :thumbsup:. I know this is a woodworking forum, but I personally would be interested in your ceramic techniques. You know firing and all, I assume you have our own kiln ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi there
glad you like my work

i have a small kiln and kick wheel in my studio (i use the term studio loosely its really only a brick outbuilding i have converted for my use).
i fire red earthenware thrown on my kick wheel in a small electrick kiln temp.1000-1100degrees.
these days the ceramic serves only as a vehicle for adding the wood and wire.
my main influences are shoji hamada potter and japanese wood work/joinery. The joints and techniques they use are amazing.
the handles on the tea pot and jug are turned from yew which is my favorite turning medium.
I am currently experimenting with laminating coloured perspex/acrilic sheet with ply to form the basic material to make my furniture when i come up with an acceptable example i will post some photos

regards
steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts