Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Mike and im located in NE Phoenix. I have wanted to get into woodworking for a long time now. I have some experience but I have a long way to go and hoping for some support here.
Usually when I decide to do something I tend to jump in head first (much to the frustration of my wife). I currently have a separate building to dedicate as a shop. Its a 16 x 20 barn with lots of storage in the loft. I have acquired the follow tool so far: a Rigid 3610 table saw w/ an Incra V27 miter gauge, Milwaukee 5616 router, a Dewalt 12" CSMS as well as all my basic power tools some clamps and vises. Currently looking for a drill press, jointer/ planer and a belt/disc sander. Any suggestions on must have tools to get started and ideas on setting up a shop would be greatly appreciated.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Welcome Aboard...

X Zonie here. I lived in Tucson and Mesa for a total of 25 years. I live in Alabama now. They get more rain here in 24 hrs than we used to get in Tucson in a year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome Line Guy, I live in East Mesa, Az. Retired from Toledo, Ohio and moved out here in 2002. I would recommend adding a thickness planer and a dust collector to your list. Tools are really based on what type of woodworking you plan on doing. I don't really get on here and say much. You will find that this site and those members are very willing to help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Paul nice to hear from you. A dust collector will be high on my list. I was thinking about adding a separate " closet" outside the barn to house the dust collector to help keep the noise down. I am checking Craig's List daily for both these items. One question... where are you purchasing your lumber.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Hopefully you will be able to find

a source of mesquite and/or Iron wood. J know some people that would be willing to do some trading for for some good mesquite burl or heart wood iron wood.

Like me...

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Welcome to the vortex Paul,

;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mike, I have found the best buy and choice of woods and sheet goods, to be at Superior Lumber in Phoenix and they bring a bunk out to your truck and sat it down and you can go through to your hearts content. I buy some at Timber Line here in East Mesa, only because it is handy (close to the shop). Not saying there is not some better out there, but I kinda stick with what I know. TimberLine is a little higher than most and limited on some sheet goods.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Hi Mike. I'm in Snowflake, AZ.
The HF DC is a decent one. Mine is vented directly outside. Sure improves the suction and frees up a ton of space and there's no bags to empty.

If you are ever up this way, I have a nice bench top, 12 speed DP I'd let go cheap. But, check craigslist. I've seen a few in the PHX area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Gene

That might just give me a chance to take a nice drive and get out of the heat one of these days. let me know what you are looking to get for the DP. Thanks.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Mike,
I'm asking $70. Here's a picture.
image_21838.jpg
If you are interested but don't want to make the total trip, we go to Tucson frequently on 77, we could meet in Globe. Save ya about 60-70 mi.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome Line Guy, I live in East Mesa, Az. Retired from Toledo, Ohio and moved out here in 2002. I would recommend adding a thickness planer and a dust collector to your list. Tools are really based on what type of woodworking you plan on doing. I don't really get on here and say much. You will find that this site and those members are very willing to help.
I took the planer off the wish list. I got a smokin' deal on a new Ridgid R4331 13" planer off of Craig's List. Still in the box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike,
I'm asking $70. Here's a picture.
View attachment 78772
If you are interested but don't want to make the total trip, we go to Tucson frequently on 77, we could meet in Globe. Save ya about 60-70 mi.
Ive got a friend in globe and one in Safford maybe i cold get one of them to hook up with you if I cant get up that way. can you send me some info on it. Does this forum have a way to do pvt messaging?

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Mike, I think you must have a certain number of posts....maybe 10.... before you can post a private message.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts