Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm a newbie to this site and to woodworking. I have been interested in it for years. My great-uncle and uncle used to do it and I'd like to carry on the tradition (maybe I'll have a nephew who'll do it after me?). I just need to get started on some simple projects after I get the tools and maybe a book.
Ken

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ken;
Hello from West Michigan.
I've been dabbling in woodworking since my Dad got me started in high school. I am now geeting into it serious now the my father gave me all his tools. I find turning raw wood into something functional & beautiful quite satisifying, I'm sure you will too.

One simple project suggestion is wooden blocks for children. Squares, rectangles, triangles, just about any shape that they can stack / knock over etc. Simple & in-expensive to make. Can be made from just about any wood and quite often you can find free scraps that can be turned into blocks.

Enjoy the forum. Here you will find lots of people with 'vast' amounts of knowledge they are willing to share. :laughing:

Remember, don't be afraid to ask questions.
The only 'dumb' question is the one not asked. :yes:

Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ron,
Thanks for the message. I hadn't thought of making blocks for kids, but that sounds like a good simple project to start with...just cutting out some squares, triangles, and circles and sanding them down. I just need to bite the bullet and get some equipment.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's amazing to see what children do with simple blocks. It really stimulates their imagination. Just watch kids sometime when they get ahold of scraps of wood from construction & remodeling projects. :yes:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ken,
Welcome I'm new to the forum as well and with my actual surname being Newby I always will be. An interesting thought about making blocks. It never occurred to me until now that I started off with a big box of cut-offs to play with back in the middle of the last century.

Enjoy your time here and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Roger

·
Curmudgeon in Training
824 Posts
Welcome, Ken. Several years ago, I bought a stack of lumber at a place in Memphis called Colco Fine Wood and Tools. Is Colco still open? If yes, you should check it out. It was a great store eight years ago! I remember, they had a floor full of nice Jet tools then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Colco

Geoguy,
Colco Fine Woods and Tools is still open in Memphis...on Jackson Avenue. Thanks for the tip. I might have to check that place out.
Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts