Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here. I joined to first of all look for some guidance. I want to do 2 things;

• I have some plain chipboard sheets. I want to make these tongue and grooved so I can use them for flooring. I need to know what tools or machinery I need?
  • And I also have some melamine faced chipboard that needs cutting to the right sizes. Again I need to know what tools or machinery I need for this? I've been told I may get a ragged edge if using the wrong tool. I need perfect neat and straight cuts.
Thanks in advance for any guidance or help. Dean.

·
Registered
419 Posts
A router

mounted in a table for the first project. Appropriate tooling also required. Straight edge, skill saw and a hand held router will work for the second project with the appropriate tooling.

Ed

·
Woodworker and Contractor
97 Posts
Why are you wanting to T&G the chipboard for flooring and what is it going over? To do this you need a router and a set of T&G bits

For the melamine and table or hand saw will work. With a hand saw measure the distance from the blade to the edge of the deck and draw a line this far from where you want the cut, should be about 5" then clamp a staight edge here to guide the saw. This will give you a nice straight cut, even if you're good with a hand saw melamine can chip.
Also make sure the good side is being pull down into itself with the blade not pushed off the chipboard. With a table saw this will be good side up but a hand saw will be good side down. This will help with the smooth cut.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts