Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As requested, I was just introducing myself. I was hoping I could get some help or advice with putting together a starting set of tools for hand woodworking, and possibly get some book/ebook recommendations. I'm an aspiring backyard metalsmith and I'd like to make the mold patterns for the Gingery Lathe. The author recommends white pine. I'm going to embed an image of the pattern pieces below.

Anyway, are these parts simple enough for me to be able to make the mold patterns with hand tools? And if so, what specifically will I need to get started? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Welcome aboard! I have read some of his books and intend to delve into the art some time in the distant future.

To answer your question, if you have no woodworking skills or tools, you will need to acquire at the least:

handsaw, some rasps/files, sandpaper, drill bits and drill or brace.

If you want to use power tools, drill press, tablesaw, jigsaw, router and a bandsaw would be handy tools to make your patterns.

Working wood takes some time to learn. You may make several patterns before you get some that are just right. Take your time and be as accurate as possible. Imagine the time you take to file and sand wood will be ten times as much if you have to file and sand the molded item!

Don't forget to ease your edges and inside edges with fillets ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.