Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum and looking to become a regular. I am a software developer by trade but I consider myself to be an engineer in general being that I enjoy building things and watching the finished project come together. I am very new to woodworking and I know it won't necessarily be easy to just jump into it but I think my passion for building will keep me motivated to keep going.

At this point the only woodworking I've done (and this was years ago) was build a wooden adapter for a subwoofer in my car audio system. But I am now a homeowner and with that, my imagination is running quite wild. I have my eye on many home improvements from a gazebo to cabinetry.

This looked like the perfect place to get going. As it stands now, I have the following power tools at my disposal which I am slowly building on:

Hitachi Miter Saw
Dewalt Jigsaw
Dewalt Cordless Drill
Dewalt Cordless Driver

I haven't thought much about my next power tool but I'm all ears. I'm still pretty afraid of circular saws in general although I understand a lot of woodworkers find use for them. I've also started to read a lot of material that I've amassed over the years in preparation.

I look forward to learning a lot and helping others with the knowledge I gain.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Welcome to the best woodworking forum.

Quick tips for beginners... Other then acquiring a table saw (which I think is the hub of my workshop), only buy the tools you need for a particular job you're involved in. Many of us own tools that are collecting dust.

Start by building shop items like a workbench or tool cabinet etc. Your 1st items will be less then perfect so as long as they are functional, you've learned and have something you can use.

Start with simple joinery in your shop builds and don't throw away your cut offs - use them to practice more complicated joinery.

Be safe - know your tools and respect them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts