Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was putting my Jeep Grand Cherokee onto my lift to do an oil change the other day, and neglected to move my table saw out of the way. Right front fender caught the corner of the rear fence rail on my saw. The saw has a Delta T2 fence, which has pretty substantial rails, so it creased the body metal pretty good. Fortunately (?), I was planning on replacing the car sometime soon, so I guess my trade-in value took a hit. I'm thankful that the saw is OK though.

Just though I'd share my latest shop accomplishment!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Ouch! That's a pretty good scrape!

My tools are in the basement, so the only bad thing I do is gash up the drywall on the utility room wall.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Wow goes against my saying. " if at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you actually tried". I think I would tell my wife it happened in the Home Depot parking lot.

·
where's my table saw?
28,742 Posts
hold on

Your home owner's insurance will cover it because there was no one driving it. Should also be zero deductible if you have a good policy. Been there done that with the tractor one time, clipped the back of the plow truck sending it rolling into the other truck. Should have been in "Park" but somehow it rolled. :blink: No problem, according to State Farm. I got an estimate and took the $486 and made a monthly payment with it. I showed them. :yes:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Did you devise a special jig for that cut?

Yeah, at trade-in time a dealer will make a bigger deal out of that than is called for. For the metal part you might ask a paintless dent removal company to give you an estimate. That will still leave the scratch, for which touch-up paint might help. My goal would not be to make it as good as new, but better than it is. You might be able to replace the headlamp cover yourself with a couple of wrenches or screwdrivers. I'd ball park your DYI costs at around $300 for everything. Don't know if it is worth your trouble, but I'd go for it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I scraped the BBQ grill once with my car. No dent just a scratch. I touched it up but it was pretty visible and bugged me the rest of them I owned the car.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I had a dent/scratch on the hood of my last car when I traded it for the new van I'm driving. The dealer started to complain about the damage, but I reminded him it would be cheaper for him to repair it than me. The damage hadn't been reported so it wouldn't show up on Car Fax unless his body shop felt like they should report it. It wasn't brought up again, and I felt like I got more then enough in trade for that car despite the hood scar.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Turn the car around and do it again to the other side so it matches. Then at trade-in time call it a value added ( I'm learning to really hate that phrase) modification.

Glad that the saw is OK, but even more happy no one got hurt.:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts