Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my other post I mentioned that I build log furniture. Here is my lastest project, a log rocker. It's made of Michigan white cedar and all the joints a mortice and tenon. I've done quite a few chairs like this but this was my first rocker. The hardest part was finding 2 logs with a similar curve for the rocker rails.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My mom had some old rockers growing up that weren't even, so really don't mind the un-smooth rocking, kind of miss those chairs actually. Very nice work.
We used a chain saw and a draw kife to get the rocking action smooth. Then tweaked it with a belt sander to get the last 2 catches removed. It looks rustic but the rocking was really smooth.

Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your comments. BTW, your galleries look great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great looking rocking chair Bob. Do you seal the wood for weather protection or not. I love the smell of cedar.

Bull

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great looking rocking chair Bob. Do you seal the wood for weather protection or not. I love the smell of cedar.

Bull
Thanks, I seal them with 3 coats of spar varnish if they are going outside. I also let my customers know that if they are going to use them outside they will have to redo the varnish every year. Michigan is very harsh on varnish.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BoB, nice work. Got to ask, how much do you get for those? $$
Also, do you ship?

Thanks,
Darrell
Thanks. I can ship them, but it gets a bit expensive. I've been selling them for $250. The cost for shipping is mainly because of the size of the package. Because they are made of cedar they are relatively light for a rocker that size.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice chair Bob - do you have your own store?
My girlfriend and I used to do our work from the basement. Three years ago I rented a store in Cedar Springs, Michigan, right on the main street. It's in the old downtown business district. The building is about 80 years old. Here's a picture from a while back. I spray painted the mural to hide the broken concrete on the corner of the building. The city finally made the landlord take down the canopy before someone got hurt.

Last summer I added a plywood moose to the front.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey there Bob, So were bouts is Cedar Springs ? Iam jsut south of Kalamazoo bout 20 miles , in Three Rivers. Love that chair would like to have a pair of them even a love seat style would be nice for my deck in back yard. Have you ever made a love seat rocker if so whats going price on this item. If not too far from me I'd hook up trailer and go for a drive to pick them up. Also are they sealed for the weather? Let me know as Iam intrested also what are your hours of business? Very nice looking craftsmanship.

·
Papa Red
1,165 Posts
Way to go. That rocker looks great. When I build my cabin in a couple of years, will you come to visit? And by the way, bring your tools! Great work. Red

1 - 20 of 27 Posts