Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Firewood Inquisitor
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my entry into the dumbest woodturning project of the week contest. It was a quick little something I made from $10 worth of materials from Home Depot. See if you can guess what it is.

Attachments

·
Firewood Inquisitor
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was a commissioned piece by one of my best customers. Introducing what I assume is the worlds first and only hand turned wooden Beyblades Beystadium. If you don't have an 8 year old boy, you've probably never heard of Beyblades and that's a good thing.

Attachments

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
OK.. so I had to google Beyblades...
Now I know...
I feel your pain...But hey... That's a happy lookin young fella & I guess that's what matters!
..Jon..

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yep...I had to Google Beyblades too! But, it's not the "dumbest"...I think it's the "smartest" turning project of the week. You got to make an 8 year old happy and he thinks you're the greatest Dad in the world. Priceless!!!

·
Firewood Inquisitor
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I say dumbest because if you've had the privilege of seeing the Beyblades cartoon show (which was created just to market the toy) it's hard to imagine that you didn't lose at least a few brain cells. The plastic arena they sell (which we have) is thin plastic so when the top is spinning on it it acts like a speaker cone and makes a fair amount of annoying noise. The nice thick non-resonant wood is much quieter - a win for both father and son.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have one of those things, 8 yr old boy that is, and I don't know Beyblades. Should I avoid asking him about them just in case he hasn't been exposed?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Cool project and your smart not to buy the plastic ones. I can see that the little guy is proud of it and having fun playing with it. Great job!

·
Firewood Inquisitor
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, no - we own two of the plastic ones. One thing I REALLY like about the wooden one is that it doesn't act like a big speaker and make lots of noise from the spinning of the top, it's nice and quiet except for the sound of the zip start and drop of the top.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Beyblades

Anything that makes those things less annoying is not dumb or a waste of time. My nephews has those things and I wish we could go back to the days of nerf battles instead of hearing those things.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I've heard Beyblades. Children from neighborhood play them. I agree with you, the plastic creates noise. Your project is really smart, fun and cool.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts