Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took on the project of refinishing the hardwood floor at my mom's house. A few years back I had done some wood projects and finishing them always turned out great. So, I thought no big deal...

I sanded the floor and got up all the dust. Then, applied the stain. It looked amazing. That's where it all took a wrong turn...

She wanted a low gloss poly on it. I applied a coat. Then sanded! It was such a pain on the knees that I sanded after the first coat because I wasn't thinking. Now the floor is covered with an unremovable sandy/dusty film. When I apply mineral spirits or water, it looks great. But then it dries.

I would really appreciate any help you guys could give me, because I'm already bald so I can't pull out anymore hair.

Thank you for reading.
-Dave

·
where's my table saw?
30,362 Posts
sorry about your hair...

the floor can be fixed.... bald is OK too though.:yes:
Regardless, dust is your ENEMY and if you sanded (why?) the new poly before it was dry, that was your first mistake. You may have to strip it off and start over. Research should be done before the project, not after for best results... :yes:

Post some photos of what you have now and the step by step process you used, including specific brand name of the finish poly, maybe a shot of the actual can?

·
Registered
27,884 Posts
I took on the project of refinishing the hardwood floor at my mom's house. A few years back I had done some wood projects and finishing them always turned out great. So, I thought no big deal...

I sanded the floor and got up all the dust. Then, applied the stain. It looked amazing. That's where it all took a wrong turn...

She wanted a low gloss poly on it. I applied a coat. Then sanded! It was such a pain on the knees that I sanded after the first coat because I wasn't thinking. Now the floor is covered with an unremovable sandy/dusty film. When I apply mineral spirits or water, it looks great. But then it dries.

I would really appreciate any help you guys could give me, because I'm already bald so I can't pull out anymore hair.

Thank you for reading.
-Dave
First of all you shouldn't have to sand much between the coats on a floor finish. All you are trying to do is make it smooth. As far as being on your knees sanding, you can put 220 grit paper on a drywall pole sander and put it on a broom handle where you can sand standing up. I think what you are referring to as a dusty film is where the finish is scuffed with sandpaper. If you can't wipe it off then there is nothing to worry about. If there is dust that can be wiped then use a vacuum and pick up the dust. If it is just scuffed when you put the next coat on the haziness will disappear. If it feel rough then it may not be sanded enough, however it would probably be better if you when ahead and put another coat of finish on and let it dry and then sand again. An extra coat would be far better than sanding through the finish.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions. In doing that your location will show under your username when you post.

From your description it sounds like all you have to do is vacuum up all the dust and debris, and recoat. Allow enough curing time in between applications.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the quick responses.

Here are a couple pictures of the floor. Those spots, that look like dried water droplets, are there every time I scrub. I don't know how to remove this mess.

And CabinetMan, I will post an introduction as soon as I get the time to sit down longer than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
27,884 Posts
If you wipe the floor with mineral spirits and the spots dissappear they would also dissappear when you put another coat of finish on. As bad as it looks I would be real surprised if you have a problem.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
At first glance the 'scratching' looks like the result of not sanding with the grain ,
and at second glance , the spots and swirls look to be the result of swipes and bubbles from applying the polyurethane , or from the newly sanded bare wooden floor having been wiped with a wet cloth before the poly was put on.

Perhaps the problem is in the staining .
The polyurethane will bring out and highlight the surface , grain , defects , messy work , the lot .

Sand with the grain , and 'layoff' the finish coats in the direction of the grain .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should have stated that the mess is from wet sanding. I've always done this on furniture projects (after the second or third coat) and never had this problem. It always wiped right up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts