Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I was hoping someone can help. I have no experience with wood, I bought a new Acacia wood multimedia unit with exposed wood and used lemon oil to protect it (Old English brand) . After applying the lemon oil it stained the wood and changed the color of the wood and made it much darker with a red tint (still the same after 24 hours) I might of applied too much. Is there anyway to bring it back to the original color or is it too late? If I can bring it back to the original color please let me know how.
Thank you in advance and I attached the pictures to show the color difference before and after.
Brown Property Light Black Rectangle

Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor Wood stain

·
Registered
28,481 Posts
If lemon oil altered the natural color it would have given it a yellow tint. The red is the natural color. It would have done the same thing had you put water on it but water would have dried out. Lemon oil is more of a furniture polish and wouldn't have done very much to protect the wood. You would have had to use something with a hardening oil in it to get protection.

From where you are you could apply linseed oil or tung oil but the color will stay the same. You won't be able to completely get rid of the red color. If you would chemically strip the wood and sand it you could apply a green dye to the wood which would make it more brown. Then for a finish you could use a water based polyurethane which would alter the color the least of anything you could use. If you do decide to use the dye be sure to test it un the underside first. The dye would be mixed about the color of lime coolaid. You just want to cancel the red. If you use too much you would end up
making it green.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hey everyone,
I was hoping someone can help. I have no experience with wood, I bought a new Acacia wood multimedia unit with exposed wood and used lemon oil to protect it (Old English brand) . After applying the lemon oil it stained the wood and changed the color of the wood and made it much darker with a red tint (still the same after 24 hours) I might of applied too much. Is there anyway to bring it back to the original color or is it too late? If I can bring it back to the original color please let me know how.
Thank you in advance and I attached the pictures to show the color difference before and after. View attachment 439021
View attachment 439022
Because lemon oil is very similar to a furniture polish it needs to be applied 2-3 times per year. That said, it is likely that over time, as the lemon oil dissipates, the wood will return close to it's original color. May take several months to do so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts