Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Ive got is a 1947 delta saw with a craftsman 3/4 hp heavyduty mill type capacitor motor.That Im sure came with this saw in 1947.IF not then it was added not long after.The saw was my grand fathers.I grew up around this saw.Anyways Im not any electrian obviously.And someone else moved the saw from outside and the rain over simply covering it up.When I was in the middle of working on it.Building the new table and motor shelving.So the motor was resting on its shelve with the power wiring attached.When he moved it the motor fell and ripped out more than just the power wiring.But the wiring to the windings.That Ive got repaired.Which was a task in itself.Do to old wiring that was thin and coverd with a canvas like material that frankly had dry rotted over all those many decades!So this is where Im at.There are four posts depending upon how one wants to wire this motor.For 120 volt or 240 and marked that same 1,2,3,4 I wired it the way it was for 120 volt using the 2nd and 4th posts.a yellow wire and black on the 2nd post with a Red and yelo on the 4th post.Which leaves me with how to wire in the power cored.When the old basturd is of no use!Both wires on it are black and old.I got a new heavy duty three wire and prong cord.IF I cant use the one wire that's fine.When in these days only two were ever used.So I use the black to where?The same as black and yelo and if so the ground goes where?When from what little I know.Both are hot leads powering two different sides or parts of this caveman motor. Randy:sweatdrop:

·
Registered
28,405 Posts
Every manufacturer wires the motors different. I think since you have had some of the internal wiring damaged I would take it to a electric motor repair shop and have them fix it if you are going to use that motor. Personally I think 3/4 hp is too wimpy and would use that as an excuse to upgrade to at least a 2 hp motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
wiring help on table saw

Its like this,when I know I have the internal wiring done right.Two it sure wouldn't pay to have to have any shop look at it.When the cost would far exceed anything this motor is worth.For both power and repair costs. This is a whimp motor!One of and the only thing Ive not ever liked about it.Problem falls into I really never use the saw at all enough.To justifie the cost of a 200.00 motor.I really cant for any shop fixing this one is insane!So all I need is simple for anyone who really knows wiring.When all I need is how to connect the power cord and that is only two wires.One will go to hot and one to whatever is used for the ground.However, since there are two power or wired spots.Would be why I don't know and nether do ether of you.When they call these type of wiring a three phase I do believe.This motor can run from ether voltage.Would be why.I wired my exwifes entire swimming pool.Had the same with that pump motor.Only I asked a electrician at the time.And that was afew years ago now.Not to mention,Im sure that motor was clearly marked unlike this one isn't.Why they do show how to wire this for the four internal wires but show nothing for the actual power cord end.Which now,tells me this motor was taken from his place of employment most likely.LOL when what in hell its good for is beyond me? For any milling machine is a joke.This motor has all it can do to cut wood period. So you can be assured this saw always has a good blade.Have any ideas on where to pick up a motor for under 150.00??

·
Registered
620 Posts
toy4therock said:
. So all I need is simple for anyone who really knows wiring.When all I need is how to connect the power cord and that is only two wires.One will go to hot and one to whatever is used for the ground.However, since there are two power or wired spots.Would be why I don't know and nether do ether of you.When they call these type of wiring a three phase
STOP!!!!

From your comments it is glaringly obvious that you lack the skill and knowledge to do this safely.

Hire an electrician, consult a motor shop, or buy a motor with the nameplate and wiring data intact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
This is to the Stop jerk that doesnt know my skills

When Im here to tell you!One you don't know me and I don't care to know anymore from you!Ive got all the skills I need.But just like YOU!And anyone else in this world.Not one of us has all the worldly knowledge to just step in and do any job.Ok so pull your head out of your butt! Or have enough sense to keep your fingers where your heads at ok.When you obviously lack the skill to respond to most anything properly.I got really tired of having to educate jerks like you while growing up!But trust me they got educated quickly!:furious: last if you ever tried doing things you haven't before.You may find your more capable than you never will be with the attitude that you sadly so have.I tackle anything in front of me ok.And most often I do not at all need any advice.However its best to seek out any knowledge one happens to lack.In order to yes! Get that job done and properly would be exactly how this does work JERK!:thumbdown:

·
Registered
598 Posts
When Im here to tell you!One you don't know me and I don't care to know anymore from you!Ive got all the skills I need.But just like YOU!And anyone else in this world.Not one of us has all the worldly knowledge to just step in and do any job.Ok so pull your head out of your butt! Or have enough sense to keep your fingers where your heads at ok.When you obviously lack the skill to respond to most anything properly.I got really tired of having to educate jerks like you while growing up!But trust me they got educated quickly!:furious: last if you ever tried doing things you haven't before.You may find your more capable than you never will be with the attitude that you sadly so have.I tackle anything in front of me ok.And most often I do not at all need any advice.However its best to seek out any knowledge one happens to lack.In order to yes! Get that job done and properly would be exactly how this does work JERK!:thumbdown:

Nice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Soooooo that's a no?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.