Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm making a table out of aluminum extrusions and wood but may have bitten off more than I could chew for the wood portion of the table. Need help with a couple of things. My table top is supposed to be 120cm by 80cm but its currently 120 by 90 cm. I only have a jig saw and drill currently. How do I make the cut. I believe a circular saw is the best option? Any tips on how to buy a circular saw? There are many brands and each brand has many models so I'm quite lost. The wood is 5 ply 3/4 inch plywood laminated on both sides. Will the laminate crack when cutting? I attached a drawing of the table top below, all dimensions are in millimeters. For the 40 mm cutouts a jig saw should be sufficient right? Lastly, I'm building some drawer boxes to attach to the table. I'm using 3ply 1/2 inch laminated plywood to make it and it'll be 60 by 70cm by 9 cm. I was think of using dado joints to build it. Is this a good method? How deep should I cut the dadoes? Do I need to strip the laminate on the parts that fit into the dado?

Thanks in advance.

Rectangle Parallel Font Pattern Drawing

·
Registered
224 Posts
A jigsaw with a decent blade will cut it but will be slow. To minimize splintering of the laminate, use masking tape on the cut area. You may still get some splintering, but it should be minimal. When I did the same cut with a jig saw, I used a fine blade (lots of teeth) and patience during the cut. For the long cut, I would use a guide clamped to the piece. I’m not very steady and straight with freehand cuts.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
+1 on fine blade and patience - you may need more than one to make the cut.

Cordless tools are either pretty much the norm in construction, or rapidly becoming so. I’ve seen whole houses built with nothing but cordless saws.

So, if I anticipated getting into wood working more, and funds allowed, I would get a cordless combination set with a drill and impact driver.

That said, just about any corded circular saw will get the job done, and can be bought quite cheaply either new or used.

If this is the route you go, use a 60 tooth blade, use a guide for minimal tear out. Scoring the laminate and precise alignment of the cut first will help with tear out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
For the drawer construction, I don't think I would use the laminate for the box. I would use the laminate as the drawer face and plywood or MDF. Many people use the 1/4 x 1/4 method to make drawers. That method uses 1/4 " dados with 1/4” rabbets. I saw a good you tube video of the method. I will try to find the video.

·
Registered
224 Posts
YouTube video of Quarter-Quarter-Quarter System.

This is a great way to make boxes and drawers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the drawer construction, I don't think I would use the laminate for the box. I would use the laminate as the drawer face and plywood or MDF. Many people use the 1/4 x 1/4 method to make drawers. That method uses 1/4 " dados with 1/4” rabbets. I saw a good you tube video of the method. I will try to find the video.
I realize I should have built it then laminated but I'm running out of funds to buy more wood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts