Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Craftsman table saw
I recently picked up a used Craftsman TS model 113.298090 2hp direct drive with stand and a Sears "sliding miter table attachment" model 932066 off of Craigs list. The gentleman I purchased it from was helpful and had it set up ready to test when I got there. It was quite, clean and had plenty of power. He was asking $100 for it but also had a small bench top drill press he was selling as well. I was able to pick up both for $100. Of course my problem is that Sears no longer makes many replacement parts and I have a couple needs on the unit. 1st the blade guard is missing the hardware for mounting it too the table and 2nd the sliding miter table is also missing parts and I can't find anything on the Sears site for that model # let alone figuring out what parts I need or if I can order them. The sliding miter seems like a cool tool but I can't even find an owners manual on line to figure out the correct way to use it. Anyone have any ideas? :blink:
And yes I agree I will need to replace the guild rail and assembly. Several on ebay right now but waiting to see if I can get something at a better price.

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Knotscott

Here are some pics. One is the manual with parts. the other is actual attachment point 20131127_143233.jpg

Thanks
Rob.

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
20131127_150356[1].jpg

20131127_150450[1].jpg

20131127_150444[1].jpg

20131127_150346[1].jpg The other didn't post so I will try again. One photo showing actual

mount. Also blade guard end . Also showing the sliding miter table. It

is supposed to replace the wing on left of table. The fence in pic

attaches to table to guild the work piece. I am missing the "clamps"

that attach the fence. If any one can give me more info on the sliding

table? Trying to find owners manual or info on proper use.

Attachments

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
woodnthings:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been checking on ebay but have not yet come up with anything.

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like it, but I have the guard. I need the parts to attach to the

table saw.

See the page I posted with the parts from the manual.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
if you can't find a the mounting hardware for the BG, you can at least have a splitter by fabricating your own ZCI. this video shows how:

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/090/videos/making-a-zero-clearance-insert/

you need to use 1/4" material, as those old c-man saws had very thin inserts. i use 1/4" MDF, route a 1/8" recess around it's underside perimeter and fie tune with painters tape if needed.

Reactions: w1pers

·
Registered
611 Posts
if you can't find a the mounting hardware for the BG, you can at least have a splitter by fabricating your own ZCI. this video shows how:

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/090/videos/making-a-zero-clearance-insert/

you need to use 1/4" material, as those old c-man saws had very thin inserts. i use 1/4" MDF, route a 1/8" recess around it's underside perimeter and fie tune with painters tape if needed.
I don't know if it is wise, but I don't use the guard that came with my Craftsman jobsite table saw. I too made a zero clearance insert, and I have two GRR-Ripper G-200 push blocks that give me a lot of confidence when ripper pieces.

Maybe too much confidence? :eek:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Imho, you shouldn't invest any money in that saw.
Aluminum table, strike 1.
Direct drive, strike 2.
One of the worst fences, CM made. Strike 3.
Just sayin

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Well your in for a long but worth while tune up here. Google that sliding table under images. Look through the pictures. You'll have better luck finding how others have it set up.

If you must have the blade guard. You can bore a hole in the right sized block of hard wood to fit the guard back on the saw. I don't use one because I feel they cause more problems than they are worth. I do too many cuts that require their removal. After market or shop made ones are much better.

If you get that slider working you wont need the miter gauge. They have become obsolete anyway. If you don't get the slider working just build a sled.

Buy thin kerf blades due to the size of the motor. If you can find a stabilizer to mount with the blade. You will get a better cut. I've been using one for over 25 years.

Consider the tune up a labor of love and it will return great results. Leave it out and your going to cuss this tool every time you use it.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was kinda figuring as much on the guard. I figured that was why the pieces were missing in the first place. the previous owner removed it. But I would like the option if I decide. I like the hard wood block idea. I hadn't thought of that. The only image I was able to find was from an older ebay listing on a new slider. Thats when I figured out that the fence that was include was missing parts. I think I can rig something to hold the fence.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
w1pers said:
I was kinda figuring as much on the guard. I figured that was why the pieces were missing in the first place. the previous owner removed it. But I would like the option if I decide. I like the hard wood block idea. I hadn't thought of that. The only image I was able to find was from an older ebay listing on a new slider. Thats when I figured out that the fence that was include was missing parts. I think I can rig something to hold the fence.
What about the slider?

Al

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sliding miter table pictured on prev. post has a fence that is missing components to attach to slide itself. The second(?) photo shows sliding table with the fence. The fence should come with 2 brackets.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
w1pers said:
Sliding miter table pictured on prev. post has a fence that is missing components to attach to slide itself. The second(?) photo shows sliding table with the fence. The fence should come with 2 brackets.
Are you sure? looks like the fence mounts in the T tracks on top. That would be a good item to have if you can make it fit.

Al

·
The Old Fisherman
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Picture I found from old list on ebay shows 2 adjustable plastic(?) devices that clamp the fence into place on the sliding table at the angle you wish to cut at. Those devices slide into the T tracks on top. I am missing to those clamps. I am trying to come up with a work around (jury rig) that will work for it. Any ideas are welcome.:thumbsup:

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
w1pers said:
Picture I found from old list on ebay shows 2 adjustable plastic(?) devices that clamp the fence into place on the sliding table at the angle you wish to cut at. Those devices slide into the T tracks on top. I am missing to those clamps. I am trying to come up with a work around (jury rig) that will work for it. Any ideas are welcome.:thumbsup:
Do you know what UHMW plastic is? It almost doesn't wear out. Get some on line and make your own. It cuts almost like wood but it's tough.

Al

1 - 20 of 51 Posts