Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done spraying some water-based dye from General Finishes. The one thing I was anticipating with spraying through my HVLP is that I could just spray and let it dry. However, when I sprayed, I saw droplets of dye on my workpiece. I let it soak for a few minutes then wiped it all. It came out all right, but I'd appreciate some guidance on setting up my gun for water based finishes. I was using a 1.4 tip and about 30psi with the fluid knob almost all the way open.

This setting has worked very well for me with lacquer, but I'm not experienced enough with the gun to know how to adjust it for different viscosities.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
30 PSI sounds pretty high to me, I usually run at about 15 PSI (at the gun). The fluid knob may be out too far as well, tinkering with these adjustments and trying them on rosin paper or something should get you dialed in. My fluid knob adjustment is to tighten it all the way down and then back it out 1 1/2 turns. But these guns are all all different, that's just what works on my Wagner.

·
Registered
26,886 Posts
I think if you are getting droplets of stain at 30 psi there is a problem with the gun. Perhaps it needs a thoroughly cleaning.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve Neul said:
I think if you are getting droplets of stain at 30 psi there is a problem with the gun. Perhaps it needs a thoroughly cleaning.
That could be true. I'll look more thoroughly at the gun. I sprayed lacquer afterwards with good results. At first I thought it was particulate matter coming through the gun, but when I wiped the stain it all blended in smoothly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts