Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm looking for some help with hardware. I was cleaning out my grandmother's house, and I pulled a rudimentary old shelf out from the work room in the basement. It was painted white, then blue, and was in pretty rough shape. I stripped it down and sanded it, I'm I'm about ready to stain it. Here's my question.

The unit has two panels that rest in the front of it, to close it up, and they are held in place by two wooden rails at the top and bottom, and then with two pieces of wood in the middle. These pieces of wood swivel around around a screw, so you can either remove the panels, or secure them in place. I'd like to replace these two pieces of wood with metal hardware to dress the cabinet up a bit. I swear I've seen this sort of thing before, but now that I need it, I have no idea what such a device would be called or where to find them. Any help would be appreciated. I've attached some pictures for reference:

Attachments

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
Looks to me like the button you'd twist to keep an outhouse door closed.
As far as a "proper" name for it.. well I'm at a loss.
Made a bunch of 'em in my time for what ever the need may be... just can't think of a proper name for 'em. "toggle" ??
Take these photos to your local hardware store.. They'll match something up for ya I'm sure.
Best luck & welcome to the forums.
..Jon..

·
Premium Member
6,509 Posts
"turn buttons" is the name. They are available in metal.
http://www.goingknobs.com/Prd/388839/
I remember them being used to hold interchangeable storm windows and screens in place once upon a time, may not be long enough for what you need.

Why not either clean up originals or make some new wooden ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.