Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While out deer hunting this Saturday, I came across a long, straight quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides) that had been blown down by the nearly 2 weeks of high winds. Just wondering if anyone has worked with it before, and if so, how well does it machine and turn? is it well figured and take a stain well? I'd like to know if I should take the time to go chop it up or just leave it for the moss and fungus. Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
Aspen is a very soft hardwood. It's very fiberous. More fiberous than butternut.DYES very well. It's white can be figured but not typically. Not sure how it turns.

·
Hunter
240 Posts
I have not worked with apsen much, but the logs I worked with were a uniform white, no figure at all. I would be interested to hear how it turns.

Hunter

·
Registered
298 Posts
We milled out a lot of aspen and Poplar after a big blow once. Terrible results. Tears out and is very stringy. Doesn't look all that great either. Cant remember what we did with it all, would have made better framing lumber imo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. maybe i'll just cut off a chunk or two and test it out before taking the time to do the whole thing... keep ya posted

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
While out deer hunting this Saturday, I came across a long, straight quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides) that had been blown down by the nearly 2 weeks of high winds. Just wondering if anyone has worked with it before, and if so, how well does it machine and turn? is it well figured and take a stain well? I'd like to know if I should take the time to go chop it up or just leave it for the moss and fungus. Thanks
Is this on your property or someone else's property?

George

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a lot of Aspen on my property. I would like to cut the new trees and some limbs to weave in a box type frame. These boxes would then be used for railing on my decks. I will need to use the wood while it is pliable. I have thought of soaking it in water. Does anyone have suggestions? Mary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts