Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I and my partner are making and selling a tool set for the golf industry.

http://www.youtube.com/edit?ns=1&o=U&video_id=ucbIE8is8rE

I'm designing the tool/shipping box for it. The first box was made of plywood with dados and rabbits. My partner tells me he has access to a "laser" machine that cuts thru holes/shapes. So my goal now is to design a box that will eliminate the need to cut dados or rabbits. I'm hoping I can design one with finger joints which will look much better and maybe even be cheaper and easy to assemble. I've attached photos of box #2. I'm guessing I'll need to have the mortises cut 1/16" longer than the tenons to allow the bottom and bottom shelf to expand/contract. My concern now is the middle and top shelves. I would like for them to be removeable. As you can see I have secured them with 2 screws on each end. I'm concerned this may lead to cracking. Am I worried over nothing? Any advise?

Thanks,
Roland

Attachments

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
I think wood has been left by the roadside in the "golf industry".Better make it out of Carbon Fibre or Titanium?

But in general,if you're going ahead with these.The goal is to trim your process down to the minimum of not only time but pcs as well.And the "pcs" here isn't totally about parts.........its the pcs of a puzzle.The puzzle is the manufacturing process.Look at the beehive industry for inspiration on "box joints".There is some interesting proprietary machines.Very best of luck.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Who in the golf world is going to use a tool box? I have a spike changing tool and a tool to change the settings on my driver. These stay in my golf bag where they are most useful. In reality the spike tool could stay home just as well.

What would you put in your tool box?

When you sell those boxes how much commission are you going to pay to those who helped desifn it?

George

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ok, I'll play - since the OP's question has not been answered, here is how I would approach the problem:

Use two t-nuts in each end of the wooden shelves. Drill a hole through the end uprights (the end pieces with the handles) and put your matching machine screw through the hole into the t-nut. No muss, no fuss, no splitting in the future, fairly low cost. If the two shelves will never need to be removed, just glue them into a stop dado, less hardware and handling.

HTH :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. This in on the back burner right now.
BTW, the toolkit is the product (not the toolbox) and it will be used by the course maint staff, not golfers. The toolbox is just an afterthought and must be dirt cheap. Competing products use blow molded plastic cases. I'm going against the grain trying to incorporate a wood box to house my made in USA product.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts