Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'm just wondering: concerning the Nova Live Center System cup center for boring through a hollow tailstock:

once you have the cup center point situated on the work-piece, how exactly does the cup then get re-aligned on center to begin boring, once you punch out the point?

There must be something silly I'm missing.. Is this designed for super soft wood, where the point would "sink" into the wood & the cup traces a circle for mounting?thanks lads,Rich
I think you have it right. The cup would need to trace a circle that could be used for remounting. With a dead cup center (no bearing) that happens even on the hardest woods, but with that live center it may be less obvious.

Or... use a pointed bar through the tailstock and center to get the spindle centered again, and replace that with your drill bit for boring. Did the Nova center come with instructions?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.