Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm fairly new to woodworking and am having some trouble with dado (notch) cuts. I'm making a fairly simple dining room table, only using some soft maple, a harder wood than what I've used in the past (mostly cheap pine). When I make a notch cut (2 inches deep), it's coming out too raggedy to chisel out. I've never had problems with notch cuts when working with softer woods.

I'm wondering if investing in a more powerful circular saw would make a difference? Or a better blade? Or maybe some better chisels? What's my problem?

Thanks!

·
bzguy
581 Posts
2" deep dado notch?
Are you trying to hog it out all at once?
Not sure what you're doing, but maybe clamp the work to saw table and slowly raise blade or make several passes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies...I'll try and post some pics later - my camera is on the fritz right now.

Well it's more like 1 1/2 inches deep. I'm attaching a 2X4 table stretcher support to the two table legs.

I'm making the two end cuts (3 1/2 inches apart) first, then just making a zillion cuts in between the two end cuts and trying to chisel out. It's almost as if the cuts in the middle aren't going deep enough or something, and I'm left with this jagged "bowl" effect in the notch (from the circular saw blade). Usually I can chisel this stuff out when I'm notching up softer wood, like pine, but for this project it's just too stubborn.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
To me it is still not clear what you are trying to do.

Maybe make a drawing and post that. A drawing would probably be better than a picture anyway.

George

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

Thanks for the replies...I'll try and post some pics later - my camera is on the fritz right now.

Well it's more like 1 1/2 inches deep. I'm attaching a 2X4 table stretcher support to the two table legs.

I'm making the two end cuts (3 1/2 inches apart) first, then just making a zillion cuts in between the two end cuts and trying to chisel out. It's almost as if the cuts in the middle aren't going deep enough or something, and I'm left with this jagged "bowl" effect in the notch (from the circular saw blade). Usually I can chisel this stuff out when I'm notching up softer wood, like pine, but for this project it's just too stubborn.
We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions.

Sounds like your chisel needs sharpening.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm just doing one of these cuts:
Using a Circular Saw : Circular Saw Notch Cuts - YouTube

Except after chiseling it out it doesn't come out clean, like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=not...F10%2Fwwtsd-restoring-wood-windows%2F;614;461
i would think any movement of the saw will affect the bottom of the cut , like side movement , and maybe the blade isn't sharp? on a skill saw the blade is cutting different than a table saw blade, on my skill i have a diablo 50 tooth i belive and it cut's very smooth, also if the beiring are a little wobbly that will also affect the cut, a lot can affect the cut

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
This is all competitive nonsense.
Everyone uses their shop in a different manner.
I have a bench and a set of sawhorses but so what? The quality of bench has little to do with the end product. The talent does.

I relate this to the photographic arts. Even cheap equipment these days is more than satisfactory IF you have the eye for composition and can successfully frame a shot. Then know how to work it over and display it.
Some have the eye and creativity for it and some don't.
Some can copy a plan for building a project and others go off and create the plan with an expertise and knowledge base.

The bench is meaningless and often used as a status symbol or show off item. Fine with me, but lets see the end game.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts