Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first time poster.

I just inherited an old Delta Milwaukee 6" joiner. The motor is a Walker Turner 1/2 HP, 60 cycle, 3450 RPM. It's all in really good shape given the age. I just got done cleaning and waxing the table.

So here's my issue. The pulley on the motor is 4.5" while the pulley on the table is 2.75". According to some online calculators this gives me a 5645 RPM at the table. I found an old manual that states the RPM at the table at 4500. So right now it's 1100 RPM over what the manual says.

Is this OK? Are there risks of running the joiner at this high of a RPM? Should I look for a 3.5" pulley to bring it back down to the manual's spec?

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
+1 with Warner. Slow that thing down. You'd have the added advantage of increasing the torque at the cutterhead, which will be helpful when jointing hardwoods. 1/2hp isn't much power for a 6" jointer.

You ought to be able to find a smaller motor pulley without too much trouble.

Bill

·
where's my table saw?
29,972 Posts
while you're at it change out the motor

That 1/2 HP motor won't pull it with a full 6" wide Oak...unless your depth of cut is 1/32" or less. You'll have to make many passes on a twisted board. On my 6" jointer, with the good old1 HP Craftsman motor, it strains on a heavy cut, so I would expect the 1/2 to struggle. JMO. All my 6" jointers...have 1 HP motors. :yes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts