Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a table built out of old barn wood. Used System Three epoxy, and had some issues. Stripped most of it, except what filled the holes. Two days later, used Arm-R-Seal oil and urethane as a topcoat. Put it on 12 hours ago, and it is still very sticky. Is it possible that it is reacting negatively with the epoxy? Or, should I not be using a oil-based finish on old barn wood?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used vinegar to soften the epoxy, then I scraped it and hand-planed it. Finally, I sanded it down to about 99% bare wood.

·
Registered
26,340 Posts
I don't believe the epoxy had anything to do with the urethane. For what you were doing it would have been better to use acetone than vinegar however the preparation you did after stripping would have removed any trace of the vinegar. I think if you are patient it will dry. If it is cool and or damp where you are that could really slow down the drying time. Urethane dries slow anyway. 8 to 12 hours would be normal in the summertime.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't believe the epoxy had anything to do with the urethane. For what you were doing it would have been better to use acetone than vinegar however the preparation you did after stripping would have removed any trace of the vinegar. I think if you are patient it will dry. If it is cool and or damp where you are that could really slow down the drying time. Urethane dries slow anyway. 8 to 12 hours would be normal in the summertime.
I was thinking-- how OLD was that urethane? That could be problem

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You cannot topcoat epoxy with oil based products like oil based polyurethanes.. It'll likely check up on you later.
Being that you stripped most of it, you might be ok, but that's a general rule.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts