Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm a new (bad) woodworker. I'm building an outside table for a Big Green Egg. It's for a friend, so I don't really want to mess it up (he's a tightwad). I've got to cut a 27" hole through the top of the table. The top consists of cedar 1x6's.

I was going to cut a hole then use my jigsaw to cut out the circle. However, the cedar has shown that it wants to tear apart if at all possible. I swear I just looked at it funny and a piece broke off. I'm afraid the slow moving jigsaw will rip it to shreds. I've already marked out the circle.

I have a dewalt 611 router that I've used one time to cut a circle out of MDF for a subwoofer box. I used a Jasper tools circle cutting jig, and it worked flawlessly. I just received the 52" version of the jig, and I was thinking the router might be the way to go.

Help me. The 1x6's aren't supported underneath the area the circle will be cut. I also think maybe I should use some tape to prevent tearout, but if so..how do i tape it? What method should I use to cut the hole? Should I buy a Laguna bandsaw? This isn't relevant at all, but I can't stop thinking about getting a bandsaw.

-Tim

Attachments

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Here goes a quick explanation for a new guy.
Screw some boards up from underneath 14" or so from center of circle so at least something is holding the top together after you cut hole.
A router with sharp straight cut plunge bit lowered in small increments would do the least damage.
Mount router on board with outside measurement to bit 13&1/2" from centered axis pin, use + or - 1/4" bolt?
You need to also screw on from the bottom a temp board to anchor center of circle bolt because once the cut is completed the "whole hole" will detach & fall in, mar/cut outside of hole.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Tim - glad the project turned good, haven't talked to you in a while. If you want to see the Laguna bandsaw in action then head 70 miles west come take a look at mine. David
That sounds good. I haven't had time to do any woodworking due to work recently. I'm just now getting back into trying to do some projects. I'd love to see some real woodworking being done :yes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts