Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone here has a solution to my problem. I have made a few chess boards and I am having a problem with the colors bleeding while I am sanding. The dark squares are gaboon ebony (I've also had the same problem with padauk) and the light squares are quilted maple (also curly maple). The dark dust from the ebony is staining the maple. Basically the dark dust is sinking into the light grain. How can I A: fix the problem now, and B: stop it from happening on future projects. The boarder for the chess boards has fine inlays of the same woods, so there is no way I can only sand the lighter wood only. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I know exactly what your talking about. If you have the equipment to do it I think that if you hook up a vacuum to your sander it will catch and evacuate the dust before it has a chance to get into the pores of the lighter wood.

Another solution might be to sand it with your orbital then hit all the light squares with some hand sanding. A light touch might do it.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Never having made a chessboard I never thought about that. I bet Dave is on to something. Maybe that's where a top-rated tool lke the Festool would earn its keep. Everything I have read points toward their orbital and vaccum ability being hands down the best at dust collection. Maybe worth a look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts