Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, My name is Gage and i'm looking for a light wood like Bulsa to make this case portable but sturdy and stable enough that it won't collapse. I'll be thinning the wood and upholstering it, so staining isn't a factor. If you have any suggestions that would be great thanks!

·
where's my table saw?
29,643 Posts
forget balsa awood

What shape is the case?
The shape is an important consideration... the round Shaker boxes made from thin strips are very strong.
The weakest shapes are squares and rectangles. Triangles are very strong.

A thin 1/16" to 1/8" hardwood plywood, like Birch or Maple if properly reinforced will be your best best.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What shape is the case?
The shape is an important consideration... the round Shaker boxes made from thin strips are very strong.
The weakest shapes are squares and rectangles. Triangles are very strong.

A thin 1/16" to 1/8" hardwood plywood, like Birch or Maple if properly reinforced will be your best best.
My design and measurement's have it to be about a 17"w and 17"h and 17"l cube it's going to carry about 6 3" Binders with a couple of boxes. Like But I'll be carrying it with me 1-2 times a week to different event's I'd really like it to be the most 7lbs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.