Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

A couple of weeks ago I got a Craftsman Industrial Laminate Trimmer model 315.275120 for free. It got dropped and then was turned on and did nothing but smoke, thats why I got it for free. I took it home and took it apart and found that the magnet field inside was broken, I ordered a new one and after putting it back together and turning it on, it sparks REALLY badly. I looked online to see how to check the armature to see if it had gotten damaged but it checks out just fine, I then ordered new brushes because the old ones were in bad shape. I got the replacements in yesterday and after installing them I tried it out and for a moment they seemed to work but then the sparks started back up. At this point I'm not sure what to check next, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
830 Posts
time to count your losses and toss that bad boy
might need a new brush holder or the shaft is out of alignment

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Unfortunately it came to a smoldering halt earlier today, that's $70 in parts down the drain. Would a Porter Cable trimmer be a better option?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I have no experience with the Porter-Cable trim router. The "modern" compact routers are very nice, combining a lot of power in a small, comfortable package. Those compact routers run at 31,000 RPM. That's fast. Really fast. Some routers have a speed adjustment, others do not. I have a Makita RT0701CX7 Compact Router kit, which lets you adjust the speed.

-> The potential problem is that a router can burn your wood at 31,000 RPM. When you lower the speed, the burning doesn't happen.
-> Having learned the lesson with my Makita router about speed and burning, I would recommend a compact router with a speed adjustment.

Porter-Cable makes different compact routers with fixed speed (31,000 RPM) and adjustable speeds. One thing that I noticed about the Porter-Cable is that it has a light. My Makita does not.

My Makita has razor sharp edges on its machined metal sub-base. It isn't really a problem as long as you handle it with care when the plastic base plate is removed, just like handling sharp blades. It bit me once, and I learned a good lesson. I do not know whether sharp edges are common to all compact routers. It may be.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

The Craftsman is now just spare parts, on the bright side I picked up a lightly used Makita RT0701CX3 kit for $100.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Oddball question, is it possible the voltage rectifier went bad in the Craftsman?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi

Unfortunately it came to a smoldering halt earlier today, that's $70 in parts down the drain. Would a Porter Cable trimmer be a better option?
Most of my corded shop tools are Porter Cable, routers, sanders, circular saws. However Bosch is my choice when it comes to my laminate/profile router and my jig saw.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts