Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I'm a newbie. I need some help determining what kind of wood this is. I had a friend give me some of this that was left over from a hardwood flooring job. I placed a red pin top so you can kinda tell the color.

Many thanks!

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
I'd ask the friend what it is.
If he did the job? He should know what it is you think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks like Brazilian cherry to me also, I picked up a bunch of pieces from a planning mill that were to short flor custom work. The.wood finishes beautiful,it is very hard and is a hard wood to work.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
kempas??

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not Brazilian cherry. Here is unfinished " Brazilian" Cherry(Hymenaea). Yours is possibly Ipe.
The board leaning on the Land Cruncher door is "Ipe" ( Tabebuia Impetiginosa).Both were cut on my property.
Construction grade stuff !:eek:
I save the good stuff for furniture. Goncalo Alves, Mahogany,Bocote, Cocobolo etc.:thumbsup:
How about some Enterolobium ? ;):yes:

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
I know. By the time I finished the bottle the wood was already bolted on and I came to the realization that I could no longer use my table saw :censored:. Que sara sara. Then I put on some Hendrix, blacked out and woke up to this ! :blink::laughing:

Attachments

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Check out Granadillo on the same site provided by Dave Payne.
Although the site seems to show a quartersawn sample with some of it's (beautiful and quite usable sapwood showing) the end grain pics especially look identical.
Many exotic tropical woods where I live, I love working this wood.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Tilaran, I would surely like to know more about that machine.
How about a separate post showing us what your intensions were/are.
Oh, bottle of what? :laughing:
Bill

·
7,222 Posts
Check out Granadillo on the same site provided by Dave Payne.
Although the site seems to show a quartersawn sample with some of it's (beautiful and quite usable sapwood showing) the end grain pics especially look identical.
Many exotic tropical woods where I live, I love working this wood.
I have several pieces of jatoba, and the original poster sample looks the same grain and colour as my jatoba.

I have one board of granadillo. Nice wood. I like the grain, but it does not look like my jatoba pieces.

·
Registered
303 Posts
When buying wood in The Empire(M-pyre) ask for the botanical name. Those clowns will write " Brazilian", "Ecuadorian" or "Rosewood" on a stick of field locust to jack the price $2/ft.
To the Fl. poster. I've seen that sawed off mental case who owns Shell selling Hymenaea as "Honduran Rosewood" with an according price tag.
Kinda like USA "solid wood".....little pieces glued together with Chinese blade killing epoxy.

Bill. Homemade stuff I hadn't cut or carbon filtered yet. About 160 octane.
The machine is for knife grinding.
You can't buy anything like that here and $2000 for a machine $1700 import fees PLUS shipping. NOOP. I making mi wun too mush !

·
bzguy
581 Posts
I agree about the local's limited knowledge or honesty about species, there are at least 5 different woods here in Central America commonly marketed as rosewood.
Ditto with Granadillo, or Grenadillo which botanists say is 2 different woods, and locals will show you 10.
Just mention a species here and they'll lead you to piles of wood, all different, but all ostensibly the one you requested.
The more searches you do on what name in what region is applied to what species, the more confused you get.
When a guy in the US tells me he has one piece of "Granadillo" and it doesn't look like the "Brazilian Cherry", I really have to wonder if either of the species is identified right, even botanists disagree on several.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is definetly either Honduran or Brazilian, most likely cherry. I hate working that stuff. It's so dog on hard that it'll crack on you fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

1 - 17 of 17 Posts