Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a small pile of this stuff. It ain't pine no knots it's too light to be ash. Aspen maybe??? 10" w 4' l 3/4" t. according to the price tag $6.88 at Revy.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried to get an end grain shot but.... It's light warp/cup /twist free and looks like pine. It's been sittin around for a few years in a shed. If that helps.
Flat sawn if ya' can't tell from my crappy photo. Closed grain too.

·
Woodworker and Contractor
97 Posts
looks like pine to me, just no knots;) The little flecks look like pores but they aren't. My guess is wide ringed fast growth pine:yes:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I do have a link to a good site where you may be able to find out tho'. There are lots of photos of lots of different types of wood.
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/indextotal.htm
That is an excellent link humongous, broadband is a must, 17,000+ pictures. I have meant to post it here since I joined (a year ago :laughing:) I go there all the time just to see what cool wood there is are out there. Paul Hinds has put quite a collection together. I have spoken to him a couple times, good dude too.

CDog, It looks like sweet gum to me. The stuff we have up north is creamy pink/white with very little darker heartwood in the center.You said it does not smell like pine, what does it smell like? When wet sweet gum smells like apples and beer mixed together (really) You do know what apples smell like right? :laughing:

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Apples yeah but what is this 'beer" you speak of?????:shifty:
Technology is too far behind. I have a webcam, I could show you. I have a microphone on my pc, I could tell you. We need something to transmit smell. I could let you know what beer and apples smell like...I just ate an apple;).

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just made a raised panel door outta this stuff and quite frankly, it doesn't smell like anything really.

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
Gosh what a site. A real labour of love. I was able to identify my table top as Brazillian Rosewood. Many thanks for the link.
johnep

1 - 16 of 16 Posts