Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a few figured walnut slabs that have been waiting to be made into a table. My plan is to joint one face of each slab by hand, then plane to thickness using some machine help if I can find it. Here's a progress shot or 3

Soil Wood Concrete Floor

Wood Grass Textile Floor Flooring

Wood Floor Hardwood Table Flooring

The pics don't do the figure justice. So here's the rub. Anyone in my area with at least a 24" planer (preferably w/ spiral cutterhead b/c of figure) or a wide belt sander capable of thicknessing a couple slabs? They are 7' long and 23.5" wide at widest point. I'm in NEPA, by the way. I'd travel within, say, 75 miles or so. Will compensate for time & tooling...

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
That's a beauty Brian. I'd hate to ruin them. They look pretty smooth already. Why not make a router sled to flatten them out? Splash some DNA on them so we can see the true beauty in them.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Gorgeous wood, I'd definitely go for the wide belt-sander, lots of passes but a planer will tear some chunks out of that multi-directional grain.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dom. The other side is still rough, so far I've only jointed one side of one slab. My issue is that I want to join them for a book matched top, so I need them to turn out the same thickness. I'm not nearly that good with hand planes, nor do I have the months it would take me to do it lol!
Think I could keep the thickness consistent with a router sled?

Also I will douse em with some DNA and get a couple pics next chance I get.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Sure why not. You could joint them as one. then use a router sled to flatten. It's a lot easier than you may think. I've done it with oak burl and olive burl with no problems. Yea it takes some time to complete it, but works good. After your done you can sand it down a bit. Good luck, can't wait to see it done

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Most cabinet shops that have a wide belt sander will rent time on one. (With an operator I would guess that the rate is about $50 per half.)

With that in mind I would continue with the jointer plane and get the wide belt to finish the job.

Reactions: BZawat

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
VERY nice slab!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Maker of sawdust
460 Posts
Did you take any shop classes while in High School if so did you get along with the teacher? Most school will let you come back to let you use there equipment. Would be a great time to show HS student what can be done and how to do it you could mentor a student in the process

Jerry

·
where's my table saw?
29,621 Posts
wide belt!!!

Gorgeous wood, I'd definitely go for the wide belt-sander, lots of passes but a planer will tear some chunks out of that multi-directional grain.
A door maker or cabinet shop will have a wide belt sander. A dual drum MAY work but the wide belt will dissipate the heat much better.
To get both slabs equal thickness a thickness planer will take off material from the back side, then a wide belt will finish the top side with no tear out.
You can make a router sled of course if you want to do it all yourself.

·
7,222 Posts
Brian, you are in similar need as Gideon was recently. He drove up to my place. We started with the 16in Performax drum sander but found my 30in FlatMaster worked best. Gave us more control to even out the board. Gideon had planed too much in some area.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/my-first-crotch-slab-table-55088/

If the back is not level, even better reason to use the FlatMaster, since the drum is under the table. Gideon's slab was similar not flat on the back which was not easy to run through the Performax drum sander.

The wild grain areas will not be a problem.

You may be about 60-70 miles from my place. Happy if you want to pay a visit.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the offer Dave!! I'm a few weeks out realistically, as I still have to prep & joint one face on the other slab. Just getting my proverbial ducks in a row. I will take you up on the offer though, we'll coordinate it in the next cpl weeks. Do you think getting a uniform thickness with the flatmaster will be an issue?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wood shavings said:
Did you take any shop classes while in High School if so did you get along with the teacher? Most school will let you come back to let you use there equipment. Would be a great time to show HS student what can be done and how to do it you could mentor a student in the process

Jerry
My HS had no shop, sadly. Too bad, as I love that idea.

·
7,222 Posts
Thanks for the offer Dave!! I'm a few weeks out realistically, as I still have to prep & joint one face on the other slab. Just getting my proverbial ducks in a row. I will take you up on the offer though, we'll coordinate it in the next cpl weeks. Do you think getting a uniform thickness with the flatmaster will be an issue?
Understand the desire to plan ahead.

My learning from Gideon's slab is to work on the display side first with the FlatMaster so we get the "money" side as close as you need.

We can then decide if the other side needs to be worked on, and which approach - hand tools, power planer, Performax, FlatMaster, etc. Lots of options for the back side.

·
7,222 Posts
let me know when you guys are going meet up. I'd love to come out too and help.

plus, dave, have some rosewood for you.
Woohoo, a potential walnut slab party. :thumbsup:

Not likely to have anything to pick in the garden this late in the season.

The rosewood sounds good. Will advise of any future visit.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gideon said:
let me know when you guys are going meet up. I'd love to come out too and help.

plus, dave, have some rosewood for you.
Sounds good! It'll be nice to put some faces with Internet profiles lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts