Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a novice and would appreciate some help. I am staining one section of a cabinet door in my hallway. See attached photo.

The wood around the hinges was damaged and I was looking for a quick fix. I added some wood glue and sanded in the area of the hinges. I then continued to sand the whole section with medium grit paper (150). I bought some Minwax stain (Dark Walnut and Special Walnut) to match as best I could but it just isn't looking good at all. It is very uneven and not dark enough even though I used the seemingly darker Dark Walnut. I haven't applied any polyurethane yet.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
I think you didn't sand the finish off first is why it's uneven. Had you used either of those two colors on raw wood it would have been far too dark. It's difficult to see from the picture but in Minwax either a early american or provincial might be a closer match. It would be helpful to get a seperate piece of the same type of wood, (pine maybe) and test the stain before you put anything on the door. I would mask off the top and bottom rail and try to sand all the old finish completely off the wood. If it really is pine you will probably need a wood conditioner to prevent the stain from going blotchy. Be patient. It takes a lot of tinkering even for a professional to match stain like that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts