Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

We are renovating a room for our newborn, It has a wall mounted wardrobe and we didn't like the glossy finish. We tried to reduce the sheen by using fine steel wool with soapy water but the result was not as expected as in the images bellow.

Is there any way we can restore it using the least amount of chemicals possible? Perhaps using a wax or something similar. And preferably with a matte finish.

Thanks in advance

Brown Door Fixture Wood Rectangle

Brown Wood Rectangle Wood stain Natural material

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
I'm of the school that never uses oils or waxes.
So what finish is on there?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hi,

We are renovating a room for our newborn, It has a wall mounted wardrobe and we didn't like the glossy finish. We tried to reduce the sheen by using fine steel wool with soapy water but the result was not as expected as in the images bellow.

Is there any way we can restore it using the least amount of chemicals possible? Perhaps using a wax or something similar. And preferably with a matte finish.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 430794
View attachment 430795
There are some excellent low VOC finishes out there. I would suggest using the back of one door as a test panel. Scuff sand with 220 or 320 grit, just enough to give the existing finish some teeth. Compatibility is usually not an issue if the finish is fairly old. I recently did a few jobs that called for a paste wax dull sheen. I used Target Coatings Pre-catalyzed Conversion Varnish in flat. I was more than impressed with the result. A very soft dull sheen, very natural looking. You can find it at the Target Coatings website. I believe it can be brushed or sprayed. I sprayed it, but my test panels were done with a foam brush and they came out fine. Below is a sample of what you can expect.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. I live in Portugal and it's hard to find a low VOC finish here. I ended up using a traditional Danish finish that uses nothing but natural soap as explained in this article. Soap: Making a Clean Finish | Popular Woodworking Magazine
Idon't know how it will hold in the long term but looks so much better now, It gives the wood a soft satin finish. It will probably be harder to mantain and there are some possible issues with the compatibility of future finishes, but I need a solution ASAP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts