Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished building a farmhouse table that it knew went together entirely to good.

I pocket hold the top, and the frame. Finished separate. And then screwed the top to the frame. The two benches... Perfectly level. The table.. Umm not so much. The frame was level pre-mounting, but the table top was obviously not... Time is of the essence as I have only until Thursday to get this prob corrected as that is my deadline...

3 table legs are level, the 4th, about 1/8 of inch off.

And the million dollar question... How can this be
corrected?? Do they sell some sort of leveling device I could put on the bottom of these 4x4 post as I can level this??

Please see the photos below. Any advice,
Tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Real quick my thought on it would be the leg that appears shorter unscrew and slip a 1/8 spacer in there and screw back down... Hardly noticeable as I would be under the table that has a 5" over hang on side... Would that level it up? Or am I up the creek with out the paddle on that idea?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My best guess is that the top is probably twisted enough that it is pulling the leg assembly with it when it's screwed down. You can check that using winding sticks. Just find two nice straight sticks and lay them across each end of the top and then sight across them.

Believebraves' idea sounded good to me. Or you could wait and see if the floor is level where the table is going is. If you get lucky the floor would be out of flat the same as the table and it will rest there perfectly.

Bret

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree with believebraves' suggestion, though it depends on the joinery you have between the legs and aprons I suppose.

First thing I thought was to just trim the 1/8" off the other 3 legs. With the scale of things you have going on it would be negligible I should think. I guess it depends on your feelings about your projects and/or your client.

Only other thing I can think of is if those are painted legs, to cut an 1/8" shim and attach it to the bottom of the leg with a liberal amount of glue. Then sand it clean and touch up the paint. But I can't tell if that is painted or not.

·
where's my table saw?
28,598 Posts
shim the short leg

Rather than cutting the good 3 legs... add a shim to the shortest one. However, as Bret suggested it all depends on how the table sits when it's "home". You may find that 2 of the legs need shims.

I always chamfer the bottom of the legs so that
(1.) they won't split away if the table is slid on the floor and hangs up
(2.) If you need to add a thin shim, it won't be visible.

You can always go the "up in the leg" method with an adjustable screw, but I really don't like that on a wood leg table. :no: A farmer's table should be like what a farmer would do, no fancy threaded levelers. ...JMO

I carry wooden door shims in my truck and if I end up at a wobbly table in the restaurant, I get one of my shims and level out the table. I write the name of the restaurant on the shim and donate it. :yes: I've tried the napkins and table knife and have even resorted to my cheap folding knife at times, but one time I went off and left it until I got outside.... :thumbdown: .... "Let's see, gun, wallet, cell phone, keys, and oh yah, folding knife" :laughing:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have just finished building a farmhouse table that it knew went together entirely to good.

I pocket hold the top, and the frame. Finished separate. And then screwed the top to the frame. The two benches... Perfectly level. The table.. Umm not so much. The frame was level pre-mounting, but the table top was obviously not... Time is of the essence as I have only until Thursday to get this prob corrected as that is my deadline...

corrected?? Do they sell some sort of leveling device I could put on the bottom of these 4x4 post as I can level this??

Please see the photos below. Any advice,
Tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
you would have to take off the same amount off of the other leg across from the one that is short, and not the other 2, the only thing would be the table would be 1/8" off level , now who is going to see this, i would try the shim if you can but i don't belive that is going to work, good luck i belive cutting off the 1/8 off the other leg is what i would do, or sand with belt sander , now watch it mite kick out or split some off of the leg , i would cut it my 2 cent's

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a reason I turn to WW rather than Google for these types of questions!! Thanks for the responses.

Follow up question.. How would you cut the other 3 legs down to be close enough to have no wobble?

And I do agree, that a farmer table should be just that, plus the self levelers are extra $$$ that I really don't wanna spend if I can avoid it! I assume the easiest method to try is to shim the shorter leg in between the skirt (frame rail and leg) and the table top itself. Although I don't know what that will do, that might throw off another leg or 3, so Ill just have to try it.. worst case scenario there is take it back out, screw it down and then cut the legs.

Ill try it tonight and let you all know my outcome.

·
7,222 Posts

Yes leveling screws are readily available and not expensive.

I would install these. I use them when I make stands for my tools. Even if the table legs are the same height, my garage floor slopes to the drain.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001073/10131/T-Nut-Levelers-4-pack.aspx

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes leveling screws are readily available and not expensive.

I would install these. I use them when I make stands for my tools. Even if the table legs are the same height, my garage floor slopes to the drain.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001073/10131/T-Nut-Levelers-4-pack.aspx

Now those do look very cost effective and easy to install... Plus drilling a hole in the bottom of the 4x to try couldn't hurt. but the more I think about it though, would the table not appear to have a "floating" legs if these were installed, as you wouldn't be able to see them if they are in the middle of the post.

·
where's my table saw?
28,598 Posts
hold on there bud

There is a reason I turn to WW rather than Google for these types of questions!! Thanks for the responses.

Follow up question.. How would you cut the other 3 legs down to be close enough to have no wobble?

And I do agree, that a farmer table should be just that, plus the self levelers are extra $$$ that I really don't wanna spend if I can avoid it! I assume the easiest method to try is to shim the shorter leg in between the skirt (frame rail and leg) and the table top itself. Although I don't know what that will do, that might throw off another leg or 3, so Ill just have to try it.. worst case scenario there is take it back out, screw it down and then cut the legs.

Ill try it tonight and let you all know my outcome.
I would not do anything until I find out IF securing the top has influenced the frame. I would not cut the other legs unless you like to chase chickens or herd cats. How do you know if the table legs are not even or if it's your floor? If you locate the table in it's "home" location and it needs a shim, then fine. It should not be more than 1/8" if you are lucky. A thin shim like that if beveled on the edge and slightly smaller in size will not show.

Reactions: believebraves

·
Registered
431 Posts
Now those do look very cost effective and easy to install... Plus drilling a hole in the bottom of the 4x to try couldn't hurt. but the more I think about it though, would the table not appear to have a "floating" legs if these were installed, as you wouldn't be able to see them if they are in the middle of the post.

I agree with using the levelers. Most of the larger store bought furniture I have has levelers, as many floors in homes are not level any way. It is also possible with 4 inch legs to recess the levelers if they are not needed.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All legs measure 29.5" exactly. The problem I see is that the table top was apparently not flat, and when was turned over and the frame screw to it, it "picked up" on of the table legs. Therefore causing the 1/8" gap on the one leg.

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
As mentioned the leveling feet work well, and I install them on most any type of table I make.
It keeps the wood from scratching the floor, and on uneven floor systems it gives a little leeway in getting the table balanced.
You might consider felt or fabric on the feet, to stop the scratching.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If the shim on the one leg doesn't work, you can make your own leveling legs and recess most of them inside your leg. I made my own for my workbench by welding a washer to the head of a bolt. I then used T nuts, I like the kind that you use screws to fasten rather that the pound in type. I didn't go the extra step of drilling the larger hole as it is on a workbench. If you don't have a welder, maybe a neighbor or take them to someone that does fab work.
If you first drill a hole for the bolt to fit into and then drill a larger, shallower hole for the bolt washer to slide inside your leg it will almost be undetectable when sitting on the floor. You can coat your washer with that plastic dip or cover with felt. All this can be done without removing the legs.
You could probably get by just doing one leg if you so desired. Total cost less than a buck.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Help Please

Wouldn't even think of making a table without using leg levelers. They are readily available, inexpensive, easy to install, and best of all.... they work great!

Best of luck,
Bandman

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
i would get some of those adjusters that screw into the bottom of the legs. then it can handle any floor.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts