Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am building a waterfall grain bench seat 50cm high, 90cm long and around 40cm wide.

I will be using 2 boards of 40mm thick walnut, sandwiching a strip of maple in the centre (5cm wide).
However, my problem is that the maple is only around 30mm thick, now I have dimensioned everything up.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?
I mean, sure, I could just plane down the walnut to the same thickness as the maple, but I don't really want to waste all that wood.
The discrepancy in thickness will be on the underside, but it will show on the inside aspect of the legs.
Would putting a chamfer on the inside corner of the walnut work or would that just look 馃挬?

(needless to say I am a hobbies and don't have a full professional workshop, but I have hand tools, a thicknesser, table saw, routers, circ saw etc)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rip the maple into two. glue up with the maple flush with top and bottom with a gap in the middle. Once glued, used maple off cuts to plug the 10 mm gap at each end.
If you feel you need full strength glue up, fill the middle void with any wood you have to hand.
Thanks for the help.
Ah. I think I understand you...
That would seem like 'common sense.'
Maybe that's why I didn't think of it! 馃ぃ馃う鈥嶁檪锔
I didn't think of having a 'gap' in the middle.
If I understand correctly, the plug would be hidden as it is on the under side of the leg, ie the foot, I guess.

Thanks for the tip off.
If/when I mess it up I will be back on here selling some firewood! 馃ぃ
I will give it go!
Cheers!

where's my table saw?
I would just find some similar grain and color Maple and glue it to the bottom of the 30 mm piece, having the nicest grain for the top. Then rip it to the 40 mm finished thickness of the Walnut, no gaps to fill. It's too low to be noticeable that it's not a "perfect" match and can only be seen one side at a time. We won't tell anyone, either.

Reactions: petertaylor123

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone.
I think I am on plan G now, maybe H. I have lost track... 馃槀

I just didn't know whether having a step on the inside, middle of the bench would look...well...not the best. 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔.

I think I will go with the laminated strip and rip back to 40mm.

In my head I will be using a few dowels to help with alignment during the glue up.
So a gap in the middle won't let me do that and I would be relying on my insufficient number of clamps and crap craftsman skills to get a good, level glue up.
Not a great win percentage there! 馃ぃ馃ぃ

I will post a photo of the outcome/impending disaster for everyone to chuckle at! (probably in about 6 months, with my speed of work 馃ぃ馃う鈥嶁檪锔)

Thanks for the advice.
Much appreciated.

Registered
Do you have enou
Hi, I am building a waterfall grain bench seat 50cm high, 90cm long and around 40cm wide.

I will be using 2 boards of 40mm thick walnut, sandwiching a strip of maple in the centre (5cm wide).
However, my problem is that the maple is only around 30mm thick, now I have dimensioned everything up.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?
I mean, sure, I could just plane down the walnut to the same thickness as the maple, but I don't really want to waste all that wood.
The discrepancy in thickness will be on the underside, but it will show on the inside aspect of the legs.
Would putting a chamfer on the inside corner of the walnut work or would that just look 馃挬?

(needless to say I am a hobbies and don't have a full professional workshop, but I have hand tools, a thicknesser, table saw, routers, circ saw etc)
Do you have enough maple you could laminate two pieces together to make it 40mm thick? Most of the time you can't even see the glue line on maple.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts