Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to woodworking and the site as well. I have found 2 different jointers on CL that I have to chose from, they both are going for around $250 or so. Looking for any opinions.

JET 6" Jointer, Model JJ-6OS, Approx. 2006, 115 / 230V, 3/4HP Motor
Work great but used very little, work surfaces have a bit of rust from non use.
2-way tilting fence with positive stops at 45 degrees and 90 degrees
Dust chute with a 4" port offers efficient dust/chip collection
includes roller base for easy movement.

No info on this other then the pic.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I've never seen the Craftsman before. To me it looks about 1970 ish. That was the era for Craftsman power tools when they were reasonably good tools. (Not great but reasonably good.)

The Jet looks like the one that came with an open stand or closed stand. The only difference being horse power and dollars.

If it were me, I would go for the Jet. In a 6" jointer, horsepower doesn't really mean a lot and the jointer looks almost new. At worst you'll have to replace the knives but they are available all over the net.

·
Registered
26,889 Posts
If all the info available is the pictures I would go with the craftsman. It appears to have a foot longer bed then the jet. I've had a cheaper craftsman jointer for 42 years which has never needed any repair so I think they are durable.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
They are both good names, I've had 3 Craftsman jointers and 2 Jet table saws.
Reasonably made? never a problem, name me a "greater" made jointer?
Later Craftsman was sold and started making inferior small power-tools, along with pretty much everyone else in the US.
If everything is intact I'd go with the Craftsman, only sawdust on it in the picture.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks much guys I ended up with the jet, looks to be good. the guy with the craftsman didn't get back to me until I got the jet.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
If all the info available is the pictures I would go with the craftsman. It appears to have a foot longer bed then the jet. I've had a cheaper craftsman jointer for 42 years which has never needed any repair so I think they are durable.
Steve,
That was the golden era of Craftsman. There have been a couple of different manufacturers since then.

And then there's TYFSAK today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts