Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m working on a project for my daughters, but of course, I started way too late. I also didn’t realize that I didn’t have quite enough wood for the project, and wood prices in my area are incredibly expensive right now so I’m trying to avoid buying more at this time. However, I do have some maple and wenge boards that if I mix together I will have just enough to complete the project.

My question is what should I stain the maple to complement the wenge wood? The maple just looks too light up against the wenge for my taste. The wenge is so nice, that I was just going to oil it, so I just want to figure out what the best complementary stain I could use on the maple.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
where's my table saw?
29,637 Posts
There's no way we could tell you without seeing some examples. You will be your own best judge of what stain work best. (for your tastes)
The way to approach any stain issue is to use "scraps" of the intended wood and try various stains or "blends" on them. let them ry overnight and then wipe some Mineral Spirits on them for the "darkening" effect of a finish. Denatured alcohol will work if the M-S removes the stain.
Wood Rectangle Flooring Wood stain Font

Tin Aluminum can Tin can Wood Beverage can

Wood Table Gas Engineering Beer

1 - 2 of 2 Posts