Woodworking Talk banner

Help on Lathe Selection

Tags
lathe nova
5K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  robert421960 
#1 ·
So I need your help with something since I am so back and forth...

I have never turned but it’s something I have been dreaming about for over a year. I know I’m going to keep at it and work at perfecting this craft. I even have a ton of pen blanks, pepper mill blanks, and cut chunks off a flame box elder tree that fell down so they start drying out (and some burls).

My end goal Is beautiful vases, bowls, and platters/plates.
So here is my question: I know i'm going Nova, but should I go for the Nova Midi lathe which I can afford now, or should I hold out and purchase the more expensive NOVA 24146 1624-44 Wood Lathe? I have been selling junk I don’t use anymore, and now have enough for the midi lathe now. I just don’t want to be in the position where the midi lathe is not enough for what I want to do and will have to sell it and purchase a bigger lathe later. 499 dollars compared to 1300 is huge though….

Side note: I can only buy lathes on amazon – I sell my junk on craigslist and immediately purchase amazon cards (a deal I worked out with the wife).

Should I hold off and save more or go for the midi? Thanks for any input. My mind changes sides every other hour.

See less See more
#36 ·
robert421960 said:
so i thought what the heck ill call about this lathe. i mean for that price i could ship it to ky and still have a good deal
well its a jet 1236 lol he said he didnt know there was really a difference lol :no::no::no::no:
I also called and did he tell you all about how he was bitten by a Mosquito with West Nile? :eek: Very sad but lucky to be alive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.